|Parent company||John Wiley & Sons|
|Country of origin||United States|
|Headquarters location||Hoboken, New Jersey|
|Publication types||Books, academic journals|
Wiley-Blackwell is an international scientific, technical, medical, and scholarly publishing business of John Wiley & Sons. It was formed by the merger of John Wiley & Sons Global Scientific, Technical, and Medical business with Blackwell Publishing in 2007.
Wiley-Blackwell is now an imprint that publishes a diverse range of academic and professional fields, including biology, medicine, physical sciences, technology, social science, and the humanities.
Blackwell Publishing history
Blackwell Publishing was formed by the 2001 merger of two Oxford-based academic publishing companies, Blackwell Science (founded 1939 as Blackwell Scientific Publishing) and Blackwell Publishers (founded 1922 as Basil Blackwell & Mott, Blackwell Publishers from 1926), which had their origins in the nineteenth century Blackwell's family bookshop and publishing business. The merger created the world's leading learned society publisher. The group then acquired BMJ Books from the BMJ Publishing Group (publisher of the British Medical Journal) in 2004. Blackwell published over 805 journals and 650 text and reference books in 2006, across a wide range of academic, medical, and professional subjects.
On November 17, 2006, John Wiley & Sons announced it had "entered into a definitive agreement to acquire" Blackwell Publishing. The acquisition was completed in February 2007, at a purchase price of £572 million. Blackwell Publishing was merged into Wiley's Global Scientific, Technical, and Medical business to create Wiley-Blackwell. From June 30, 2008, the journals previously on Blackwell Synergy were delivered through Wiley InterScience.
- About Wiley-Blackwell. John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- "Wiley-Blackwell, Inc.: Private Company Information - Businessweek". investing.businessweek.com. Retrieved November 21, 2012.
- Poynder, Richard (September 2003). "Change Is Very Exciting". Information Today. Retrieved May 5, 2019.
- Dyer, Owen (2004). "BMJ Publishing Group sells its books department". British Medical Journal. 328 (7444): 854. doi:10.1136/bmj.328.7444.854-d. PMC 387509.
- Wiley to Acquire Blackwell Publishing (Holdings) Ltd., John Wiley & Sons, Inc., November 17, 2006