Waterville, Quebec

Coaticook Regional County Municipality Canada 2011 Census Quebec
Waterville pont Eustis.jpg
Location within Coaticook RCM.
Location within Coaticook RCM.
Waterville is located in Southern Quebec
Location in southern Quebec.
Coordinates: 45°16′N 71°54′W / 45.267°N 71.900°W / 45.267; -71.900Coordinates: 45°16′N 71°54′W / 45.267°N 71.900°W / 45.267; -71.900[1]
Country Canada
Province Quebec
ConstitutedJanuary 1, 1876
 • MayorNathalie Dupuis
 • Federal ridingCompton—Stanstead
 • Prov. ridingSaint-François
 • Total44.80 km2 (17.30 sq mi)
 • Land44.42 km2 (17.15 sq mi)
 • Total2,028
 • Density45.7/km2 (118/sq mi)
 • Pop 2006-2011
Increase 5.3%
 • Dwellings
Time zoneUTC−5 (EST)
 • Summer (DST)UTC−4 (EDT)
Postal code(s)
Area code(s)819
Highways Route 108
Route 143
Route 147

Waterville is a city of 1,800 people in southeastern Quebec, Canada, in the Coaticook Regional County Municipality. Prior to January 1, 2002, it was in La Région-Sherbrookoise Regional County Municipality, and was the only member of that RCM that did not amalgamate into the expanded city of Sherbrooke on that date.


Waterville owes its existence to water-power, harnessed first by a sawmill (1810) and subsequently by several other industries, which attracted its initial British, Loyalist and American population in 1870. Industrial development began in 1810 with the construction of a sawmill by a Compton Township businessman. Convinced by merchants in Quebec City, Joseph Pennoyer collected seven tons of hemp at his sawmill, intended for the manufacture of British ship cords. Inventor George Gale succeeded him in 1879, patenting his own mattress designs, which eventually made him one of the world's great inventors of box-springs and spring mattresses.


Waterville remains an industrial centre, with three internationally recognized companies, one of which is Waterville TG, acquired by the Japanese giant Gosei in 1988 and specializing in auto-part manufacturing. Aside from the rubber, plastic moulding and woodworking factories, Waterville is also host to a number of interesting buildings: the mansard-style Gale family residence, now the Foyer Waterville; the Anglican church on the corner of Principale and Compton Ouest; a covered bridge dating from the second half of the 19th century; and the Ball residence, a Queen-Anne style house which belonged to the founders of the Dominion Snath company, once a North American leader in scythe handle production. The former Ball residence now houses a bed and breakfast. The nine-hole Bonnie View Golf Club, now known as the Waterville Golf Club, is among Quebec's oldest links.[citation needed]



Population trend[4]

Census Population Change (%)
2011 2,028 Increase 5.3%
2006 1,926 Decrease 0.9%
ADJ 1,944 + Increase 6.6%
2001 1,824 Decrease 1.2%
ADJ 1,846 + Increase 38.6%
1996 1,332 Decrease 0.4%
1991 1,337 N/A

(+) adjusted figures due to boundary changes


  1. ^ Reference number 66722 of the Commission de toponymie du Québec (in French)
  2. ^ a b Geographic code 44080 in the official Répertoire des municipalités (in French)
  3. ^ a b "(Code 2444080) Census Profile". 2011 census. Statistics Canada. 2012.
  4. ^ Statistics Canada: 1996, 2001, 2006, 2011 census