List of water sports
A variety of water sports
In the water
- Aquajogging, is a cross training and rehabilitation method using low impact resistance training. It is a way to train without impacting joints. Participants wear a flotation device and move in a running motion in the deep end of a pool. Equipment, aside from a pool, can include a flotation belt and weights.
- Artistic or Synchronised swimming consists of swimmers performing a synchronised routine of elaborate moves in the water, accompanied by music.
- Diving, the sport of jumping off springboards or platforms into water
- Finswimming is a sport similar to traditional swimming using fins, monofin, snorkel and other specific devices
- Modern pentathlon includes épée fencing, pistol shooting, swimming, a show jumping course on horseback, and cross country running
- Rescue swimming is swimming with the goal to rescue other swimmers
- Swimming, including pool swimming and open water swimming
- Synchronized diving, Two divers form a team and perform dives simultaneously. The dives are identical.
- Triathlon, a multi-sport event involving the completion of three continuous and sequential endurance events, usually a combination of swimming, cycling and running
- Water aerobics is aerobics in the water.
- Water basketball, mixes the rules of basketball and water polo, played in a swimming pool. Teams of five players each must shoot at the goal with a ball within a certain time after gaining possession.
- Water polo is a sport of two teams played in water with a ball.
- Water volleyball
On the water
- Barefoot running, running on the beach without shoes
- Boat racing, the use of powerboats to participate in races
- Boating, the use of boats for personal recreation
- Cable skiing, similar to wake boarding but with cables for artificial maneuvering
- Canoe polo combines boating and ball handling skills with a contact team game, where tactics and positional play are as important as the speed and fitness of the individual athletes.
- Canoeing is an activity which involves paddling a canoe with a single-bladed paddle. Most present-day canoeing is done as or as a part of a sport or recreational activity.
- Dragon boat racing, teams of 20 paddlers racing the ancient dragon boat
- Fishing, the recreation and sport of catching fish
- Flyboard, a brand of hydroflighting device which supplies propulsion to drive the Flyboard into the air to perform a sport known as hydroflying.
- Jet Skiing, performed with a recreational watercraft that the rider sits or stands on, rather than sits inside of, as in a boat.
- Kayaking, the use of a kayak for moving across water
- Kiteboating, the act of using a kite rig as a power source to propel a boat
- Kneeboarding, an aquatic sport where the participant is towed on a buoyant, convex, and hydrodynamically shaped board at a planing speed, most often behind a motorboat.
- Parasailing, where a person is towed behind a vehicle (usually a boat) while attached to a parachute
- Picigin, a traditional Croatian ball game that is played on the beach. It is an amateur sport played in shallow water, consisting of players keeping a small ball from touching the water.
- Rafting, recreational outdoor activities which use an inflatable raft to navigate a river or other body of water
- River trekking, a combination of trekking and climbing and sometimes swimming along the river
- Rowing, a sport that involves propelling a boat (racing shell) on water, using oars
- Sailing, the practice of navigating a sail-powered craft on water, ice, or land
- Sit-down hydrofoiling is riding on the water with a hydrofoil attached to a ski.
- White water rafting, rafting on various classes of river rapids
- Yachting, the use of recreational boats and ships called yachts, for racing or cruising
This page is based on the Wikipedia
article written by contributors
Text is available under the CC BY-SA 4.0
license; additional terms may apply.
Images, videos and audio are available under their respective licenses.