Ukrayinska Pravda of December 1, 2019
Type of site
|Created by||Georgiy Gongadze|
|Editor||Sevğil Musayeva-Borovyk (since 2014)|
|Alexa rank||3424(September 2019[update])|
|Launched||April 16, 2000|
|Current status||News-in media|
Ukrayinska Pravda (Ukrainian: Українська правда, literally Ukrainian Truth) is a popular Ukrainian online newspaper founded by Georgiy Gongadze on 16 April 2000 (the day of the Ukrainian constitutional referendum). Published mainly in Ukrainian with selected articles published in or translated to Russian and English, the newspaper is tailored for a general readership with emphasis on the hot issues of the politics of Ukraine. The Ukrainian government has at times reportedly exerted pressure on the publication to restrict access to information.
Initiatives and achievements
The newspaper was often first to investigate and publish the material on corruption or unethical conduct of, or related to, Ukrainian politicians from all political camps. In December 2002, Ukrayinska Pravda was refused a press accreditation by the (then) General Prosecutor of Ukraine Svyatoslav Piskun (an offence against the Criminal Code of Ukraine).
Staff and contributors of the Ukrayinska Pravda have pioneered many legal and research techniques aimed at advancing freedom of information in Ukraine, particularly those concerning the public spending, public procurement and offshore tax evasion. Staff journalists routinely participate in non-partisan public actions promoting democracy and press freedom in the country.
Offspring Web sites of the Ukrayinska Pravda project
Ukrayinska Pravda is also the umbrella site for the following more recent sister Web sites:
- Ukrayinska Pravda – Blohy ("Blogs") – selected bloggers
- Ekonomichna Pravda ("Economic Truth") – economy and business news and publications
- Istorychna Pravda ("Historical Truth") – non-news history magazine
- Ukrayinska Pravda – Kyiv – local news and articles on Kiev
- Tablo ID – celebrity illustrated news site, paying significant attention to the public life of Ukrainian politicians and statesmen
- Yevropeyska Pravda ("European Truth") – international security and European integration in Ukraine
- Ukrayinska Pravda – Zhyttia ("Life") – social ezine
- 2000 Georgiy Gongadze, Olena Prytula (deputy)
- 2000–2014 Olena Prytula, Serhiy Leshchenko (deputy)
- 2014–present Sevğil Musayeva-Borovyk
- Georgiy Gongadze / Myroslava Gongadze
- Cassette Scandal / Mykola Mel'nychenko
- Politics of Ukraine
- Pravda (disambiguation)
- Internet in Ukraine
- "Pravda.com.ua Site Info". Alexa Internet. Retrieved 2019-09-24.
- Koshiw, J. V. (2002). Beheaded: The Killing of a Journalist. Artemia Press. p. 63. ISBN 978-0-9543764-0-6.
- "Українська Гельсінська спілка з прав людини". helsinki.org.ua.
- Kramer, Andrew E. (20 July 2016). "Pavel Sheremet, Journalist in Ukraine, Is Killed in Car Bombing". nytimes.com. The New York Times. Retrieved 20 July 2016.
- JOURNALISTS BOYCOTT PROSECUTOR GENERAL'S OFFICE, Ukrayinska Pravda (December 5, 2002)
- Правила використання матеріалів сайтів Інтернет-холдингу "Українська правда", Часті запитання(in Ukrainian)