Location within Mékinac RCM
|Coordinates: Coordinates: |
|Constituted||September 2, 1972|
|• Mayor||Lucien Mongrain|
|• Federal riding||Saint-Maurice—Champlain|
|• Prov. riding||Laviolette|
|• Total||650.70 km2 (251.24 sq mi)|
|• Land||603.94 km2 (233.18 sq mi)|
|• Density||0.8/km2 (2/sq mi)|
|• Pop 2006-2011||19.2%|
|Time zone||UTC−5 (EST)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC−4 (EDT)|
It was established in 1972 as Boucher, named after the geographic township of Boucher in which it is located. This name was chosen in honour of Pierre Boucher, former French governor of Trois-Rivières and owner of the Boucher and Boucherville Seignories in the late 17th century. It was not until 1978 that the municipal incorporation was confirmed.
On December 26, 1998, the municipality was renamed to Trois-Rives (French for "Three shores") to better represent the geography of the municipality as it is crossed by three rivers: the Matawin, the Mékinac, and the Saint-Maurice River.
On August 28, 2004, Trois-Rives was enlarged by some 70 square kilometres (27 sq mi) when it annexed a portion of the Lac-Masketsi Unorganized Territory.
The municipality has two main roads: Quebec Route 155 (along the Saint-Maurice River on the eastern shore); and St. Joseph road through the village of Saint-Joseph-de-Mékinac along the Mékinac River, reaching the Quebec Route 155 near the mouth of that river. The path of almost all other roads goes along the rivers. Generally, each route is designated as the place name of headwater lake that feeds it:
- Road Lake-to-sleighs (along the discharge of lakes Grobois, Lemere and the sleighs);
- Path of the domain Batchelder;
- Path of Mékinac Lake (along the Mékinac Lake, on the west side);
- Path of the river and road Crows (linking Vincent Lake);
- Lake Road Dumont (Dumont bypassing the lake, by the west bank);
- Path of Missionary Lake, which is segmented into two, the first segment links Saint-Joseph-de-Mékinac to the northern part of the lake and the second segment link the southern part of the lake, to Hervey-Jonction, Quebec;
- Road of the lake of the Otters;
- Lejeune Road;
- Vlimeux Lake Road.
- Population in 2011: 490 (2006 to 2011 population change: 19.2%)
- Population in 2006: 411
- Population in 2001: 469
- Population in 1996: 454
- Population in 1991: 516
Private dwellings occupied by usual residents: 255 (total dwellings: 640)
- English as first language: 0%
- French as first language: 100%
- English and French as first language: 0%
- Other as first language: 0%
Trois-Rives has been represented by a mayor since 1978. The following is a list of mayors of Trois-Rives.
- "Cent ans d'histoire en r'montant la rivière..." ("One hundred years of history up river..."), published in 1988 during the centenary of the parish of Saint-Joseph-de-Mékinac, written by Francine Juneau, in collaboration with Jeanne Desrosiers. Second edition, 300 pages, over 900 photos. This book describes the history of the parish and families of Saint-Joseph. This reissue features the same content as the first edition, adding a different binding.
- Mariages de St-Séverin-de-Proulxville, 1889-1984, St-Timothée-de-Hérouxville, 1898-1981, St-Jacques-des-Piles, Grandes-Piles, 1885-1985, St-Jean-des-Piles, 1898-1980, St-Joseph-de-Mékinac, 1895-1985, St-Roch-de-Mékinac, 1904-1981, St-Théodore-de-la-Grande-Anse, 1904-1929. Crête, Georges, Ste-Foy, G. Crête, 1987.
- "Trois-Rives (Municipalité)" (in French). Commission de toponymie du Québec. Retrieved 2010-03-02.
- Ministère des Affaires municipales, des Régions et de l'Occupation du territoire - Répertoire des municipalités: Trois-Rives
- "(Code 2435055) Census Profile". 2011 census. Statistics Canada. 2012.
- Trois-Rives, CLD Mékinac
- Statistics Canada: 1996, 2001, 2006, 2011 census