SA Army College in Thaba Tshwane
|Municipality||City of Tshwane|
|• Total||32.76 km2 (12.65 sq mi)|
|• Density||210/km2 (530/sq mi)|
|Racial makeup (2011)|
|• Black African||68.5%|
|First languages (2011)|
|• Northern Sotho||29.1%|
|• S. Ndebele||8.2%|
|Time zone||UTC+2 (SAST)|
|Postal code (street)|
Units and facilities
Today the installation is home to:
- the South African Army College,
- the South African National Defence College under Rear-Admiral Laura Jansen van Vuuren (),
- the National Ceremonial Guard and Band,
- the Military Police School,
- 1 Military Hospital,
- 2 Parachute Battalion,
- 44 Parachute Engineer Regiment,
- 44 Parachute Anti-Aircraft Regiment,
- 1 Military Printing Regiment,
- Tshwane Regiment (Motorised Infantry),
- 18 Light Regiment (Artillery Formation) and
- 4 Survey and Map Regiment.
Names and history
Founded around 1905 by the British Army, and called Roberts Heights after Field Marshal Lord Roberts. The area was subsequently renamed Voortrekkerhoogte ("Voortrekker Heights") in 1939 by the government of the Union of South Africa, following the beginning of the building of the nearby Voortrekker Monument, at a time of growing Afrikaner nationalism. On the 19th of May 1998, following the end of apartheid, it was renamed again, getting the name Thaba Tshwane. Thaba Tshwane should not be confused with the much larger City of Tshwane Metropolitan Municipality, that was created in 2000, which includes Pretoria (including Thaba Tshwane).
- "Main Place Thaba Tshwane". Census 2011.
- Du Preez, Sophia (1989). "Voortrekkerhoogte 90 Jaar Oud". Scientaria Militaria. 19 (1).
- Wallis, F. (2000). Nuusdagboek: feite en fratse oor 1000 jaar (in Afrikaans). Kaapstad: Human & Rousseau.
- "The name of the military base, Voortrekkerhoogte is officially changed to Thaba Tshwane". sahistory.org.za. 19 May 1998. Retrieved 24 November 2014.