Suez Governorate on the map of Egypt
|• Governor||Abdul-Majid Ahmed Abdul-Majeed Saqr|
|• Total||17,840 km2 (6,890 sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+2 (EET)|
high · 2nd
Suez Governorate (Arabic: محافظة السويس Muḥāfāzah as-Suways) is one of the governorates of Egypt. It is located in the north-eastern part of the country and is coterminous with the city of Suez. It is situated north of the Gulf of Suez.
|Anglicized name||Native name||Arabic transliteration||Population
(July 2017 Est.)
|Arbaeen||قسم الأربعين||Al-Arba'īn||266,576||Kism (fully urban)|
|Ganayen||قسم الجناين||Al-Janāyin||132,091||Kism (fully urban)|
|Suez||قسم السويس||As-Suways||81,892||Kism (fully urban)|
|Attaka||قسم عتاقة||Atāqah||70,167||Kism (fully urban)|
|Faisal||قسم فيصل||Fayṣal||180,033||Kism (fully urban)|
|Port Suez Police Department||إدارة شرطة ميناء السويس||Idārah Shurṭah Mīnā' as-Suways||Police-administrated Area|
According to population estimates, in 2015 all 622,859 residents of the governorate lived in urban areas. With an urbanization rate of 100% the Suez Governorate is one of the most urbanized in the country, along with Cairo and Port Said.
According to the Egyptian Governing Authority for Investment and Free Zones (GAFI), in affiliation with the Ministry of Investment (MOI), the following industrial zones are located in this governorate:
- The industrial zone for light industries
- North Ataka heavy industrial zone
- West ataka heavy industrial zone
- (New urban community industrial zones) Ataka and its expansions
- (New urban community industrial zones) South of the Sumed - Petrochemicals
There are five ports in the Suez Governorate; namely El-Sokhna port, Tewfiq port, Adabeya port, petrol basin port, and El-Atka fishing port.
The chief exports of Suez are papayas.
- Ein El-Sokhna, a well known recreational and medical destination.
- Moses' springs
- Judaic Hill at El-Khoor
Public Free Zone
In 1975, the Suez Public Free Zone was established. It is divided between two main locations: Port Tewfik and Adabeya.
- رسمياً.. المحافظون الجدد ونوابهم يؤدون اليمين الدستورية أمام الرئيس. Almasry Alyoum (in Arabic). 30 August 2018. Archived from the original on 2018-08-31. Retrieved 2018-08-31.
- "Population Estimates By Governorate ( Urban /Rural ) 1/1/2018". www.capmas.gov.eg. Archived from the original on 2018-11-02. Retrieved 10 October 2018.
- "Sub-national HDI - Area Database - Global Data Lab". hdi.globaldatalab.org. Retrieved 2018-09-13.
- "Suez Governorate Subdivisions". CityPopulation.de. Archived from the original on 2018-11-25. Retrieved 2018-11-24.
- "Markazes of Egypt". statoids.com. Gwillim Law. Archived from the original on 2017-10-19. Retrieved 26 November 2018.
- "Egypt in Figures 2015" (PDF). CAPMAS. Archived (PDF) from the original on 2015-10-19. Retrieved 23 October 2016.
- "Industrial Zones of Governorate". Ministry of Investment Egypt. Archived from the original on 2018-11-23. Retrieved 23 November 2018.
- Wahish, Niveen (3 June 2018). "Russia gets the go ahead: New industrial zone to bring investment, jobs and technology to Egypt". Ahram Online. Archived from the original on 2018-11-24. Retrieved 2018-11-24.
- "Egypt and Russia sign the largest contract in the history of Egyptian railways". Al Masry Al Youm. 18 October 2018. Archived from the original on 2018-10-18. Retrieved 2018-10-18.
- "Egypt, Russia to sign MoU to establish industrial zone in Suez Gulf area". Ahram Online. 25 January 2016. Archived from the original on 2018-10-18. Retrieved 18 October 2018.