State highways in India
The State highways in India are network of roads maintained by the state governments. It is constructed and managed by the states' Public Works Department. The state highways are usually roads that link important cities, towns and district headquarters within the state and connect them with National Highways or state highways of neighbouring states.
As of 31 March 2016, the total length of state highways was 176,166 km. As of 31 March 2016, Maharashtra has the largest share in the total length of SH roads (22.14%), followed by Karnataka (11.11%), Gujarat (9.76%), Rajasthan (8.62%) and Tamil Nadu (6.67%).
Independent of the NHDP program, state governments have been implementing a number of state highway projects since 2000. By 2010, state highway projects worth $1.7 billion had been completed, and an additional $11.4 billion worth of projects were under implementation.
Bharatmala, a centrally-sponsored and funded road and highways project of the Government of India  with a target of constructing 83,677 km (51,994 mi) of new highways, has been started in 2018. Phase I of the Bharatmala project involves the construction of 34,800 km of highways (including the remaining projects under NHDP) at an estimated cost of ₹5.35 lakh crore (US$75 billion) by 2021–22.
|State/Union Territory||Single lane (km)||Intermediate lane (km)||Double lane (km)||Multi-lane (km)||Total (km)|
|Jammu and Kashmir||67|
- "NH and SHs". MOSPI.
- "Bharat Mala: PM Narendra Modi's planned Rs 14,000 crore road from Gujarat to Mizoram", The Economic Times, New Delhi, 29 April 2015
- "Ministry proposes construction of 20,000 km of roads under Bharat Mala project", The Economic Times, New Delhi, 9 January 2016
- "Bharatmala Pariyojana - A Stepping Stone towards New India | National Portal of India". www.india.gov.in. Retrieved 18 January 2018.
- "State road network". AP Roads and Buildings Department. Retrieved 27 March 2012.
- "State Highways, District wise: Surface Feature and Carriageway Width". Public Works Department, Karnataka. Archived from the original on 21 July 2011. Retrieved 27 March 2012.
- Highways and Minor Ports Department (2013). "Table 4: Lanewise Details of Government Roads in Tamilnadu" (PDF). Performance Budget (2013–14). Government of Tamilnadu. p. 3. Retrieved 30 September 2013.