Περιφέρεια Νοτίου Αιγαίου
|• Regional governor||Giorgos Hatzimarkos (New Democracy)|
|• Total||5,286 km2 (2,041 sq mi)|
|• Density||58/km2 (150/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+2 (EET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+3 (EEST)|
|ISO 3166 code||GR-L|
very high · 13th
The South Aegean (Greek: Περιφέρεια Νοτίου Αιγαίου, romanized: Periféria Notíou Eyéou, [periˈferia noˈtiu eˈʝeu]) is one of the thirteen administrative regions of Greece. It consists of the Cyclades and Dodecanese island groups in the central and southeastern Aegean Sea.
The South Aegean region was established in the 1987 administrative reform. With the 2010 Kallikratis plan, its powers and authority were redefined and extended. Along with the Northern Aegean region, it is supervised by the Decentralized Administration of the Aegean based at Piraeus. The capital of the region is situated in Ermoupoli on the island of Syros. The administrative region includes 50 inhabited islands, including the popular tourism destinations of Mykonos, Santorini and Rhodes. 
Until the Kallikratis reform, the region consisted of the two prefectures of the Cyclades (capital: Ermoupoli) and the Dodecanese (capital: Rhodes). Since 1 January 2011 it is divided into 13 regional units, formed around major islands:
- Thira (Santorini)
- Andros (Άνδρος)
- Ermoúpoli (Ερμούπολη)
- Ialysós (Ιαλυσός)
- Kallithéa (Καλλιθέα)
- Kálymnos (Κάλυμνος)
- Kárpathos (Κάρπαθος)
- Kos (Κως)
- Léros (Λέρος)
- Milos (Μήλος)
- Mýkonos (Μύκονος)
- Náxos (Νάξος)
- Páros (Πάρος)
- Petaloúdes (Πεταλούδες)
- Ródos (Ρόδος) (Rhodes in English)
- Santoríni (Σαντορίνη) or Thíra (Θήρα)
The Gross domestic product (GDP) of the province was 6.4 billion € in 2018, accounting for 3.5% of Greek economic output. GDP per capita adjusted for purchasing power was 22,400 € or 74% of the EU27 average in the same year. The GDP per employee was 79% of the EU average. South Aegean is the region in Greece with the second highest GDP per capita.
- "Demographic and social characteristics of the Resident Population of Greece according to the 2011 Population - Housing Census revision of 20/3/2014" (PDF). Hellenic Statistical Authority. 12 September 2014. Archived from the original (PDF) on 8 September 2015.
- "Sub-national HDI - Area Database - Global Data Lab". hdi.globaldatalab.org. Retrieved 2018-09-13.
- ""The South Aegean Islands has been recognized as the European Region of Gastronomy for 2019"". The Business Report. Retrieved 17 April 2018.
- "Kallikratis reform law text" (PDF).
- "Regional GDP per capita ranged from 30% to 263% of the EU average in 2018". Eurostat.