|Founded||4 July 2014|
6 October 2018
|Split from||Populars for Italy|
|National affiliation||Popular Civic List|
|European Parliament group||Progressive Alliance of Socialists and Democrats|
|Chamber of Deputies|
0 / 630
0 / 315
1 / 73(Into the Democratic Party)
1 / 897
Solidary Democracy (Italian: Democrazia Solidale, DemoS, DEMOS, Demo.S or DeS) is a centre-left, Christian-democratic political party in Italy. The party's early leader, Lorenzo Dellai has described it as a "Christian-social" party.
DemoS maintains solid relations with the Democratic Party and a number of minor parties/groups of the Christian left, notably including the Democratic Centre (with which DemoS formed a joint parliamentary group in the Chamber of Deputies in 2014–2018), the Christian Popular Union (active mainly in Sardinia) and the Union for Trentino (Dellai's long-time party in Trentino, of which he was President from 1999 to 2012, when he resigned in order to enter Italian politics).
DemoS was formed in July 2014, following the split of the left-wing faction from the Populars for Italy. The party, led by Lorenzo Dellai, Andrea Olivero, Mario Marazziti, Mario Giro and Lucio Romano, re-affirmed the strategic (not just tactical) alliance with Matteo Renzi's Democratic Party (PD), while the PpI considered it temporary and wanted to restructure the centre-right camp instead. At its start, the party counted eight deputies, two senators, one deputy minister and one undersecretary.
In November 2014 the "For Italy" group in the Chamber welcomed the two deputies of the Democratic Centre (CD). In December the two senators of DemoS, Olivero and Romano, left the "For Italy" group, which was later disbanded, in order to join For the Autonomies, a miscellaneous group composed of minor autonomist and/or centre-left parties. In September a ninth deputy, Maurizio Baradello, joined the party and the parliamentary group; Baradello would die in May 2017.
In January 2016 the "For Italy" group changed its name to "Solidary Democracy – Democratic Centre", following a strengthening of the alliance with CD. In February Giro, formerly an undersecretary, became deputy minister of Foreign Affairs; Giro was thus one of the party's two deputy ministers, along with Olivero at Agriculture.
In June and December 2017, respectively, Fucsia Nissoli and Gianluigi Gigli joned Forza Italia (FI) and Energies for Italy (EpI), both members of the centre-right coalition. For its part, DemoS was a founding member of the Popular Civic List (CP), a centrist electoral list within the centre-left coalition, along with Popular Alternative (AP), Italy of Values (IdV), the Centrists for Europe (CpE), Italy is Popular (IP), the Union for Trentino (UpT) and the Christian Popular Union (UPC).
In the 2018 general election CP obtained a mere 0.5% and no seats, thus DemoS was excluded from Parliament. Moreover, Dellai was defeated in a single-seat constituency in Trentino. However, in the simultaneous 2018 regional election in Lazio, Ciani was elected regional councillor, at the head of a regional list named "Solidary Centre".
In October 2018 DemoS was re-launched, with the aim of creating a large Christian-leftist movement within the centre-left, at the presence of Andrea Riccardi, founder of the Community of Sant'Egidio, and Paolo Gentiloni, a leading Democrat, former Prime Minister and minister of Foreign Affairs. In the following months, the party was joined by some high-profile people, including Nello Formisano and Pietro Bartolo, while Michela Rostan, deputy of Article One, expressed her willingness to represent the issues put forward by Demo.S in the Parliament. The party also joined the PD's lists for the 2019 European Parliament election.
- "agenparl.com". www.agenparl.com. Retrieved 14 August 2018.
- "demosolidale". demosolidale. Retrieved 14 August 2018.
- "L'ultima bufera tra i Popolari di Mauro: Dellai, Olivero e Giro fondano Democrazia Solidale - Formiche.net". 5 July 2014. Retrieved 14 August 2018.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2014-07-14. Retrieved 2014-09-13.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Così ripartono i Popolari senza Dellai e Olivero. Parla Mauro - Formiche.net". 9 July 2014. Retrieved 14 August 2018.
- "Perché puntiamo a un'alleanza con il Pd. Parla Dellai - Formiche.net". 8 July 2014. Retrieved 14 August 2018.
- "XVII Legislatura - XVII Legislatura - Deputati e Organi Parlamentari - Composizione gruppi Parlamentari". www.camera.it. Retrieved 14 August 2018.
- "Olivero cambia gruppo, continua la diaspora degli ex Montiani". Retrieved 14 August 2018.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2016-03-04. Retrieved 2015-09-18.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Politica addio, Vitelli tira i remi in barca". Retrieved 14 August 2018.
- "E' morto Baradello, dirigente del Comune che volò a Tunisi per assistere i feriti al Bardo". 9 May 2017. Retrieved 14 August 2018.
- [dead link]
- "Governo, via al rimpasto: 13 nomi nuovi. Torna anche il contestato Gentile". 28 January 2016. Retrieved 14 August 2018.
- "Fucsia Nissoli Passa A Forza Italia". politicamentecorretto.com. Retrieved 2018-08-14.
- [dead link]
- "Gigli: lascio Democrazia solidale e aderisco a Energie per l'Italia - AGV". Retrieved 14 August 2018.
- "Elezioni, Renzi attacca "l'innaturale alleanza popolari-populisti". Orlando chiede scelte condivise". 29 December 2017. Retrieved 14 August 2018.
- "Centrosinistra, c'è anche il terzo mini-alleato del Pd: Civica Popolare guidata dalla Lorenzin. Simbolo? Una margherita - Il Fatto Quotidiano". Il Fatto Quotidiano (in Italian). 2017-12-29. Retrieved 2018-01-01.
- "Nasce "Civica Popolare", lista centrista alleata con il Pd: Lorenzin alla guida". Retrieved 14 August 2018.
- "Dellai, cede anomalia trentina - Trentino AA/S". 5 March 2018. Retrieved 14 August 2018.
- "Promossi e bocciati nel Lazio. Ecco i nuovi consiglieri della Regione". Retrieved 14 August 2018.
- Nasce Democrazia Solidale. Gentiloni e Riccardi tengono a battesimo il nuovo soggetto politico. Paolo Ciani: “saremo la voce delle periferie”
- Centrosinistra: Demos a Napoli al lancio di Alleanza Solidale
- Migranti: Bartolo, il medico di Lampedusa, lascia Leu e aderisce a Demos
- Rostan: “Sarò ben lieta di rappresentare le istanze di Democrazia Solidale in Parlamento"