|Regions with significant populations|
|Toronto · Vancouver · Edmonton|
|Canadian English · Mandarin Chinese · Malay · Tamil · Canadian French|
|Buddhism · Islam · Hinduism · Taoism · Christianity|
|Related ethnic groups|
|Chinese Canadian · Indo-Canadians|
There is a small community of Singaporeans in Canada, consisting largely of expatriate professionals and immigrants from Singapore and their families as well as international students and Canadian citizens of Singaporean descent.
During the 1970s, arrivals to Canada from Singapore numbered less than 100 per year while in the following decade, immigrants born in Singapore averaged between 200 and 400. In the years 1989–91, arrivals from Singapore approached 1,000.
Many Singaporeans are employed by Canadian companies or in the public sector, including universities. They also figure prominently among medical doctors, accountants, engineers, and architects. Approximately one-third are self-employed and have entered Canada under that category or as entrepreneurs. Most of their businesses are urban-based and often have a highly technical focus, such as computers or chemical and engineering products. Most Singaporeans in Canada tend to retain their citizenship in anticipation of possible return.
Between 1987 and 1991, some 1,500 to 1,800 Singaporean students were living in Canada.
Notable Singaporeans in Canada
- Justin Trudeau, Prime Minister of Canada via his parents through the wife's parents of William Farquhar, the 1st Resident of Singapore.
- Yuen Pau Woo, member of the Senate of Canada
- Chloe Ing, figure skater
- Thea Lim, writer
- Shin Lim, card magician
- Devan Nair, former President of Singapore
- Jonathan Seet, Canadian singer-songwriter
- Goh Poh Seng, Singaporean dramatist, novelist and poet
- Steph Song, actress
- Ethnic origin population, Census 2016, Statistics Canada, retrieved 4 July 2018
- : Multicultural Canada - Malaysians-Singaporeans/Migration and Settlement Archived 12 July 2012 at Archive.today
- : Multicultural Canada - Malaysians-Singaporeans/Economic Life Archived 13 July 2012 at Archive.today
- "New Canada PM Justin Trudeau has a historic family link to Singapore". The Straits Times. 21 October 2015. Retrieved 15 November 2019.