Salman, Crown Prince of Bahrain
|Crown Prince of Bahrain|
Deputy Supreme Commander
First Deputy Prime Minister
|Born||21 October 1969|
|Spouse||Hala bint D'aij Al Khalifa (until 2005)|
|Father||Hamad bin Isa Al Khalifa|
|Mother||Sabika bint Ibrahim Al Khalifa|
Prince Salman bin Hamad bin Isa Al Khalifa, Deputy King, Crown Prince of Bahrain (Arabic: سلمان بن حمد آل خليفة, born 21 October 1969) is the heir apparent and first deputy prime minister of the Kingdom of Bahrain. He is also the deputy supreme commander of the Bahrain Defense Force.
Early life and education
The Prince completed his high school education at Bahrain School, and then went on to earn a BA degree in Political Science from the American University in Washington D.C. (1992), followed by a M.Phil degree in History and philosophy of science from the Queens' College, University of Cambridge, England (1994).
Prince Salman established the Crown Prince’s International Scholarship Programme in 1999  to guide Bahrain’s young people into the 21st century. Under the programme, the most able high school students from Bahrain are awarded scholarships to continue their higher education overseas, and return to productively contribute to the development of Bahrain. More than 140 students from across Bahrain's society have been awarded the scholarship, and have had the opportunity to study abroad - including the UK, US and France.
Prior to assuming the duties of crown prince, Salman was vice-chairman of the Bahrain Centre for Studies and Research (BCSR) (1992–1995), Undersecretary of Defence at the Ministry of Defence (1995–1999), and chairman of the Board of Trustees of the BCSR (1995–1999).
On 24 February 2001, Prince Salman was appointed as chairman of the committee for the implementation of the National Action Charter. The Charter was approved by over 98% in a referendum held in February 2001 and provided a comprehensive blueprint for Bahrain’s future development based on transparency, cooperation and popular participation. The committee proposed a number of laws to implement the National Charter, including laws on government procurements and freedom of the press.
On 3 March 2002, Prince Salman was appointed chairman of the Economic Development Board, which is responsible for formulating and overseeing the Bahrain’s economic development strategy, and aims to attract foreign direct investment into Bahrain. He also chairs the following committees:
- Government Executive Committee
- Natural Resources and Economic Security Committee
- Higher Urban Planning Committee
On 6 January 2008, King Hamad issued a royal decree appointing Salman as deputy supreme commander of the Bahrain Defence Force to oversee the management and implementation of public policy as well as military, administrative, economic and financial plans of the Bahrain defence force and the national guard.
In March 2013, Prince Salman was appointed by the King as first deputy prime minister, charged with overseeing the ongoing development of executive agencies and government institutions in the kingdom.
Marriage and children
Prince Salman was married to Sheikha Hala bint Duaij Al Khalifa until 2005. Sheikha Hala was the youngest daughter of Sheikh Duaij bin Khalifa Al Khalifa, the Assistant Undersecretary of the Ministry of Finance and National Economy. Hala was honorary president of the Information Centre for Women and Children, and Chair of the Bahrain Society for Mental Retardation. She died in June 2018. They have two sons and two daughters:
- Isa bin Salman Al Khalifa (born 7 March 1990), attended American University in Washington DC, and graduated in 2012. Married, has three sons named Hamad, Abdullah and Salman.
- Mohammed bin Salman Al Khalifa (born 11 November 1991), educated at Bahrain School (Class of 2009). He graduated from the Royal Military Academy Sandhurst in 2011 and later went on to graduate from King's College London in 2015. Married, has a son Ahmad and a daughter Basma.
- Fatima – Al Dana bint Salman Al Khalifa
- Al Jude bint Salman Al Khalifa
Honours and awards
The Crown Prince of Bahrain
|Reference style||His Royal Highness|
|Spoken style||Your Royal Highness|
Salman has been awarded a number of honours, these include:
- An honorary doctorate in conjunction with the Order of the Eagle Exemplar by the United States Sports Academy (USSA).
- Bahrain: Order of Sheikh Isa ibn Salman Al Khalifa (Wisam al-Shaikh ‘Isa bin Salman Al Khalifa), First Class
- Bahrain: Order of Ahmad the Conqueror (Wisam Ahmad al-Fateh), First Class
- Bahrain: King Hamad Order of the Renaissance, First Class
- Bahrain: Order of Bahrain (Wisam al-Bahrein), First Class
- Bahrain: Hawar Medal (Wisam al-Hawar), First Class
- Jordan: Grand Cordon of the Supreme Order of the Renaissance (Wisam al-Nahda)
- Kuwait: Order of the Liberation (Wisam al-Tahrir), First Class
- UAE: Collar of the Order of Etihad
|Ancestors of Salman, Crown Prince of Bahrain|
- Government: The Crown Prince – website of the Embassy of Bahrain to the US
- Crown Prince's International Scholarship Program (CPISP)
- Spotlight on the future Archived 8 October 2007 at the Wayback Machine – The official magazine of CPIS P
- "Sheikha Hala, former wife of Bahrain Crown Prince, passes away". Khaleej Times. 11 June 2018. Retrieved 13 June 2018.
- "Local News » Crown Prince's son graduates from Sandhurst". Gulf Daily News. 16 April 2011. Retrieved 17 April 2013.
- Events & News: USBBC Host The Crown Prince of Bahrain Archived 20 May 2007 at the Wayback Machine – official website of the US-Bahrain Business Council