The old Séminaire de Sainte-Thérèse
Location within Thérèse-De Blainville RCM.
|Coordinates: Coordinates: |
|Constituted||June 1, 1849|
|• Mayor||Sylvie Surprenant|
|• Federal riding||Thérèse-De Blainville|
|• Prov. riding||Groulx|
|• Total||9.40 km2 (3.63 sq mi)|
|• Land||9.58 km2 (3.70 sq mi)|
|There is an apparent|
contradiction between two
|• Density||2,716.1/km2 (7,035/sq mi)|
|• Pop 2006–2011||3.2%|
|Time zone||UTC−05:00 (EST)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC−04:00 (EDT)|
|Area code(s)||450 and 579|
Sainte-Thérèse is an off-island suburb northwest of Montreal, in southwestern Quebec, Canada, in the Thérèse-De Blainville Regional County Municipality.
The town is mostly known as a home for heavy industry, but it is also a centre of recreational and tourist activities. It is near the southern limit of a web of cross-country ski trails which meander through the Laurentides. Heading north, it is possible to undertake several nature-filled days of skiing towards major resort centres such as Mont-Tremblant.
During the summer, many of the ski trails are used as dedicated bicycle paths, making it possible to undertake day-long or week-long cycling excursions through unspoiled areas, from one resort area to another, without sharing the right of way with motorized vehicles.
Home and garden company, Botanix, originate from Sainte-Thérèse. Founders and brothers, Guy and Wilfred Dion, started a business that would become Pavage Dion and Centre du Jardin Dion. Groupe Rona stepped in and expanded the company to become one of the largest landscaping and flower company in Québec.
Sainte-Thérèse formerly had a number of piano factories, including Pianos Lesage.
Before the General Motors plant arrival in 1966 , Agricultural and equipment company Machineries Dion was the biggest employer of the region. Steel combines were design and produce from 1940 and beyond. Steel foundry, state of the art workshop, cast iron parts and ingenious thinking made Machineries Dion a leader in the equipment market. Inventors of the first pull type forage harvester in the world with macerating rolls for hay and corn (invented in the 70's, which would later become important in a Claas vs John Deere proprietary patent lawsuit). After the initial success, more divisions would emerge; concrete silos, maple syrup extraction equipment and agricultural technology development soon followed.
According to the Canada 2001 Census:
- Population: 24,269
- % Change (1996-2001): 3.4
- Dwellings: 10,879
- Area (km²): 9.58
- Density (persons per km²): 2533.9
|Canada Census Mother Tongue - Ste-Therese, Quebec|
French & English
|Year||Responses||Count||Trend||Pop %||Count||Trend||Pop %||Count||Trend||Pop %||Count||Trend||Pop %|
The Commission scolaire de la Seigneurie-des-Mille-Îles (CSSMI) operates Francophone public schools.
- École Polyvalente Sainte-Thérèse
- École secondaire Saint-Gabriel
- École Arthur-Vaillancourt
- École du Trait-d'Union
- École Le Tandem
- École Saint-Pierre
- École Terre-Soleil
Sir Wilfrid Laurier School Board operates Anglophone public schools:
- Pierre Elliot Trudeau Elementary School (serves a portion) in Blainville
- McCaig Elementary School (serves a portion) in Rosemère
- Rosemere High School in Rosemère
There is a French-language private school, Académie Sainte-Thérèse, which has its primary school campus here.
- Reference number 56427 of the Commission de toponymie du Québec (in French)
- Geographic code 73010 in the official Répertoire des municipalités (in French)
- Statistics Canada 2011 Census - Sainte-Thérèse census profile
- "Home |PACCAR". www.paccar.com. Retrieved 2019-06-21.
- Statistics Canada: 1996, 2001, 2006, 2011, 2016 census
- "Admission et inscription Archived 2015-01-31 at the Wayback Machine." Commission scolaire de la Seigneurie-des-Mille-Iles. Retrieved on December 7, 2014. "La Commission scolaire de la Seigneurie-des-Mille-Iles (CSSMI) offre ses services aux résidents des municipalités de : Blainville, Boisbriand, Bois-des-Filion, Deux-Montagnes, Lorraine, Mirabel (Saint-Augustin, Saint-Benoît, Sainte-Scholastique et secteur du Domaine-Vert), Oka, Pointe-Calumet, Rosemère, Sainte-Anne-des-Plaines, Sainte-Marthe-sur-le-Lac, Sainte-Thérèse, Saint-Eustache, Saint-Joseph-du-Lac, Saint-Placide et Terrebonne Ouest."
- "Arthur-Vaillancourt." Commission scolaire de la Seigneurie-des-Mille-Îles. Retrieved on September 20, 2017.
- "du Trait-d'Union." Commission scolaire de la Seigneurie-des-Mille-Îles. Retrieved on September 20, 2017.
- "Le Tandem." Commission scolaire de la Seigneurie-des-Mille-Îles. Retrieved on September 20, 2017.
- "Saint-Pierre." Commission scolaire de la Seigneurie-des-Mille-Îles. Retrieved on September 20, 2017.
- "Terre-Soileil." Commission scolaire de la Seigneurie-des-Mille-Îles. Retrieved on September 20, 2017.
- "Répertoire des aires de desserte par ville 2017 - 2018 (Généré le 20/9/2017) Sainte-Thérèse." Commission scolaire de la Seigneurie-des-Mille-Îles. Retrieved on September 20, 2017.
- "PIERRE ELLIOT TRUDEAU ELEMENTARY ZONE." Sir Wilfrid Laurier School Board. Retrieved on September 16, 2017.
- "McCAIG ELEMENTARY ZONE." Sir Wilfrid Laurier School Board. Retrieved on September 16, 2017.
- "Rosemere High School Zone." Sir Wilfrid Laurier School Board. Retrieved on December 8, 2014.