Location within Les Pays-d'en-Haut RCM
|Coordinates: Coordinates: |
|Constituted||September 11, 2002|
|• Mayor||Jacques Gariépy|
|• Federal riding||Laurentides—Labelle|
|• Prov. riding||Bertrand|
|• Total||50.20 km2 (19.38 sq mi)|
|• Land||47.79 km2 (18.45 sq mi)|
|• Density||206.8/km2 (536/sq mi)|
|• Pop (2006–11)||7.5%|
|Time zone||UTC−5 (EST)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC−4 (EDT)|
|Area code(s)||450 and 579|
Saint-Sauveur (French pronunciation: [sɛ̃ sovœʁ]) is a town and municipality within the Les Pays-d'en-Haut Regional County Municipality, Quebec, Canada. It is in the administrative region of Laurentides in the Laurentian mountains, located about 60 kilometres north of Montreal.
St-Sauveur is well known for its local ski areas, the biggest of which is Mont Saint-Sauveur. The ski areas market themselves jointly under the name of "Valley of Saint-Sauveur". Its proximity to Montreal, as well as its snow-making capability, night-time skiing, and après-ski establishments make St-Sauveur a popular destination for skiers.
The town was the childhood home—from about 1946 to 1960—of Canadian musicians Kate and Anna McGarrigle.
On September 11, 2002 the city was created from the merger of the village of Saint-Sauveur-des-Monts and the parish municipality of Saint-Sauveur. The current director general is Jean Beaulieu. The city clerk is Normand Patrice.
- Population in 2011: 9881 (2006 to 2011 population change: 7.5%)
- Population in 2006: 9191 (2001 to 2006 population change: 13.2%)
- Population in 2001: 8122
- Saint-Sauveur (Parish): 4806
- Saint-Sauveur-des-Monts (Village): 3316
- Population in 1996:
- Saint-Sauveur (Parish): 3970
- Saint-Sauveur-des-Monts (Village): 2904
- Population in 1991:
- Saint-Sauveur (Parish): 2719
- Saint-Sauveur-des-Monts (Village): 2545
Private dwellings occupied by usual residents: 4886 (total dwellings: 6636)
- English as first language: 9%
- French as first language: 86%
- English and French as first language: 1%
- Other as first language: 3%
Sir Wilfrid Laurier School Board operates Anglophone public schools:
- Reference number 377892 of the Commission de toponymie du Québec (in French)
- "Saint-Sauveur". Répertoire des municipalités (in French). Ministère des Affaires municipales, des Régions et de l'Occupation du territoire. Archived from the original on 2012-05-01. Retrieved 2011-06-22.
- Statistics Canada Census, 2011 Census Profiles: Saint-Sauveur
- http://www.stat.gouv.qc.ca/publications/referenc/pdf/modsept02.pdf[permanent dead link]
- Statistics Canada: 1996, 2001, 2006, 2011 census
- Statistics Canada Census, 2006 Community Profiles: Saint-Sauveur
- "MORIN HEIGHTS ELEMENTARY ZONE." Sir Wilfrid Laurier School Board. Retrieved on September 16, 2017.
- "LAURENTIAN REGIONAL HS ZONE." Sir Wilfrid Laurier School Board. Retrieved on September 4, 2017.
- Le Passe-temps. Vol. 53-54. Editions du Passe-temps.; 1947.