Location within Brome-Missisquoi RCM
|Coordinates: Coordinates: |
|Constituted||February 3, 1999|
|• Mayor||Réal Pelletier|
|• Federal riding||Brome—Missisquoi|
|• Prov. riding||Brome-Missisquoi|
|• Total||84.00 km2 (32.43 sq mi)|
|• Land||82.88 km2 (32.00 sq mi)|
|• Density||15.1/km2 (39/sq mi)|
|• Pop 2006-2011||7.0%|
|Time zone||UTC−5 (EST)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC−4 (EDT)|
Saint-Armand is a municipality in the Canadian province of Quebec, located within the Brome-Missisquoi Regional County Municipality and the Eastern Townships. The population as of the Canada 2011 Census was 1,248. It is located on the Canada–United States border.
The Municipality of Saint-Armand and the Village of Philipsburg were amalgamated on February 3, 1999 to become the new Municipality of Saint-Armand.
Philipsburg, first known as Missiskoui Bay, was settled in 1784 and was reportedly the first settlement in the Eastern Townships. Saint-Armand, earlier known as Moore's Corners, was the site of the Skirmish of Moore's Corners, an 1837 battle in the Lower Canada Rebellion.
(+) Amalgamation of the Municipality of Saint-Armand and the Village of Philipsburg on February 3, 1999.
Mother tongue language (2006)
|Both English and French||0||0.00%|
- Polly Barber
- Maria Elise Turner Lauder (1833–1922), writer
- Langley Frank Willard Smith - WW1 flying ace
- Reference number 282909 of the Commission de toponymie du Québec (in French)
- Ministère des Affaires municipales, des Régions et de l'Occupation du territoire: Saint-Armand
- Parliament of Canada Federal Riding History: BROME--MISSISQUOI (Quebec)
- 2011 Statistics Canada Census Profile: Saint-Armand, Quebec
- Montgomery, George H. (1950). Missisquoi Bay (Philipsburg, Que.) (PDF). Granby, Que.: Granby Printing and Publishing Co. Ltd. Retrieved January 9, 2017.
- "The Moore's Corner Battle in 1837". First Report of the Transactions of the Missisquoi County Historical Society. St. John's, P. Q.: Missisquoi County Historical Society: 67–73. OCLC 18233814.
- Statistics Canada: 1996, 2001, 2006, 2011 census
- 2006 Statistics Canada Community Profile: Saint-Armand, Quebec
- Statistique Canada - Enquête auprès des ménages, 2011