|Secretary-General of the United Nations Conference on Trade and Development|
September 15, 1995 – September 14, 2004
|Preceded by||Carlos Fortin|
|Succeeded by||Carlos Fortin|
|Minister of Finance|
April 5, 1994 – September 3, 1994
|Preceded by||Fernando Henrique Cardoso|
|Succeeded by||Ciro Gomes|
|Minister of the Environment|
September 16, 1993 – April 5, 1994
|Preceded by||Fernando Coutinho Jorge|
|Succeeded by||Henrique Brandão Cavalcanti|
|Born||March 1, 1937|
São Paulo, São Paulo, Brazil
|Alma mater||University of São Paulo School of Law|
Rubens Ricupero (born March 1, 1937) is a Brazilian academic, economist, bureaucrat and diplomat. He served as the fifth Secretary General of the United Nations Conference on Trade and Development from September 1995 to September 2004.
From 1979 to 1995, Ricupero taught courses in international relations at the University of Brasília; and in the same period, he also taught the history of Brazilian diplomatic relations at the Rio Branco Institute.
Ricupero was Chairman of the Finance Committee at the United Nations Conference on Environment and Development which was held in Rio de Janeiro in 1992. He was the Brazilian Minister of the Environment and Amazonian Affairs, before becoming Minister of Finance in 1994.
He is credited with providing continuity during the implementation of the Plano Real. This plan encompassed anti-inflationary monetary reform, the introduction of the modern Brazilian real and other measures taken to stabilize the Brazilian economy.
Diplomatic postings have included:
- Ambassador and Permanent Representative to the UN in Geneva (1987–1991)
- Ambassador to the United States of America (1991–1993)
- Ambassador to Italy (1995)
- GATT, Chairman of Council of Representatives (1989, 1991)
Ricupero's published encompass 48 works in 58 publications in 4 languages and 400 library holdings.
- 2010 — Diário de bordo: A viagem presidencial de Tancredo
- 2007 — A abertura dos portos
- 2006 — A ONU no século XXI: perspectivas
- 2004 — Beyond Conventional Wisdom in development policy: an Intellectual History of UNCTAD 1964-2004
- 2001 — O Brasil e o dilema da globalização
- 2000 — Rio Branco: o Brasil no mundo
- 1998 — O ponto ótimo da crise. Rio de Janeiro: Ed. Revan. ISBN 9788571061514; OCLC 254511468
- 1995 — Visões do Brasil : ensaios sobre a história e a inserção internacional do Brasil. Rio de Janeiro;São Paulo : Ed. Record. ISBN 9788501043368; OCLC 254090142
- 1994 — A Nova inserção internacional do Brasil
- 1994 — Estabilidade e crescimento: os desafios do real
- 1993 — NAFTA and Brazil (with Sérgio Estanislav do Amaral, Robert Charles Kelso). Coral Gables, Florida: North-South Center, University of Miami. OCLC 29661557
- 1992 — O Futuro do Brasil : a América Latina e o fim da guerra fria
- 1991 — Brasil em mudança
- Ministry of Finance of Brazil Website (in Portuguese). Retrieved November 18, 2012.
- UNCTAD: biographical notes
- Dornbusch, Rüdiger et al. (1995). Reform, Recovery, and Growth: Latin America and the Middle East., p. 172, at Google Books
- D'Angelo, Marcello and Durval Guimarães e Marcos. "FH assinou o real fora do governo,"JB Online. 2 July 2008.
- Ministério da Fazenda do Brazil. Exposição de Motivos da MP do Plano Real. Archived 2010-06-30 at the Wayback Machine
- WorldCat Identities: Ricupero, Rubens