Ronny Abraham JORG
Judge Ronny Abraham at the Jessup Moot final 2013
|Judge of the International Court of Justice|
|Assumed office |
15 February 2005
|Preceded by||Gilbert Guillaume|
|President of the International Court of Justice|
6 February 2015 – 6 February 2018
|Preceded by||Peter Tomka|
|Succeeded by||Abdulqawi Ahmed Yusuf|
|Born||5 September 1951|
|Alma mater||University of Paris 1 Pantheon-Sorbonne (Diploma)|
National School of Administration
Ronny Abraham (French: [a.bʁa.am]) is a French academic and practitioner in the field of public international law who was elected to the International Court of Justice, to fill the vacancy created by the resignation of judge and former President Gilbert Guillaume. He served the remainder of Guillaume's which ended on 5 February 2009, and was reelected for a term extending to 2018.
Abraham was born on 5 September 1951 in Alexandria, Egypt. He earned his degree in Advanced Studies in Public Law at the Panthéon-Sorbonne, is an alumnus of National School of Administration and led a distinguished career characterised by numerous academic and judicial postings, which include:
- Administrative Tribunal Judge (1978–1985 and 1987–1988)
- Assistant Director of the Office of Legal Affairs of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (1986–1987)
- At the Council of State,
- Maître des requêtes (1988–2000)
- Conseiller d’État (since 2000)
- Government Commissioner within the judicial system (1989–1998).
- Director of Legal Affairs of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (since October 1998).
- Professor at Panthéon-Assas University (since 2004)
As head of the Office of Legal Affairs of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs since 1998, he has acted as legal adviser to the Government in the areas of general international public law, European Union law, international human rights law, Law of the Sea and laws on the Antarctic.
Since 1998 he has been a representative for France in many cases before international and European courts.
- La Cour internationale de Justice à l'aube de son soixante-dixième anniversaire in the Lecture Series of the United Nations Audiovisual Library of International Law
- "United Nations News Centre - Five judges elected to serve on UN International Court of Justice". un.org. Retrieved 2015-10-26.
- "World's top court among nations gets new judges - Taiwan News Online". Archived from the original on 2011-06-29. Retrieved 2015-10-26.