Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Regina
Archdiocese of Regina
- Catholics (including non-members)
|Cathedral||Holy Rosary Cathedral|
|Co-cathedral||Our Lady of Assumption Co-Cathedral|
The Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Regina (Latin: Archidioecesis Reginatensis) is a Roman Catholic archdiocese comprising the southern part of the Canadian province of Saskatchewan, as far north as the 30th township, or about 51°30' lat, that includes the suffragan dioceses of Prince Albert and Saskatoon.
In 1880 in the Qu'Appelle valley, an Indian boarding school was founded by the Rev. Jos. Hugonard (sic), O.M.I., who still directs it. Six trades are taught, in addition to the curriculum of the schools. The same Qu'Appelle valley was the cradle of the new diocese, Fort Qu'Appelle beings its only settlement until Father J.N. Ritchot established (1865) a mission at what is now Lebret. Then followed a few other missionary stations for the Indians, around which the development of the country consequent on a Government system of intense immigration has clustered the numerous centres of white population now extant, chief among which are Regina, the capital of the province, Moose Jaw, Swift Current, and Yorkton, the headquarters of a large Galician colony.
In 1911, the Oblates of Mary Immaculate founded the Diocese of Saint Regina. The Oblates were later joined by the Missionaries of La Salette and those of Issoudun, France, the Redemptorists, and the Sons of Mary Immaculate. Upon elevation, the name changed to the current Archdiocese of Regina.
As of 2004, the archdiocese contains 168 parishes, 83 active diocesan priests, 15 religious priests, and 120,000 Catholics. It also has 119 Women Religious, 21 Religious Brothers, and 3 permanent deacons. Its cathedral, Holy Rosary in Regina, provides leadership in music and liturgy; there is a second "co-cathedral," Our Lady of Assumption Co-Cathedral, the former cathedral of the now-suppressed Diocese of Gravelbourg, which has been merged with the Archdiocese.
The regular clergy are represented by the Oblates of Mary Immaculate, the pioneers in the country, the Missionaries of La Salette and those of Issoudun, France, the Redemptorists, and the Sons of Mary Immaculate. Nuns of five different religious institutes either teach in the schools or serve the sick in the hospital at Regina. Besides its primary or parochial schools, there are five academies and three Indian boarding schools.
The Roman Catholic population amounts to 58,771, of whom 19,563 are of French descent, 16,318 Germans, about 13,000 Galicians following the Ruthenian Rite, 4759 English-speaking, 2312 Poles, and 1819 Hungarians. The rest are of various nationalities, and comprise about 1000 Roman Catholic First Nations individuals. Fifty-nine priests (43 French, 15 German and 1 British) attend to their spiritual needs.
The following is a list of the bishops and archbishops of Regina and their terms of service:
- Olivier Elzéar Mathieu (1911–1929)
- James Charles McGuigan (1930–1934), appointed Archbishop of Toronto, Ontario (Cardinal in 1946)
- Peter Joseph Monahan (1935–1947)
- Michael Cornelius O'Neill (1947–1973)
- Charles Aimé Halpin (1973–1994)
- Peter Joseph Mallon (1995–2005)
- Daniel Bohan (2005–2016)
- Donald Bolen (2016–present)
Other priest of this diocese who became bishop
- James Vernon Weisgerber, appointed Bishop of Saskatoon, Saskatchewan in 1996
- Laviolette, Gontran (October 1984). "Qu'Appelle Indian School Marks 100 Years". The Indian Missionary Record. 47: 9–10.