Rural Municipality of Alonsa
|Rural Municipality of Alonsa|
Location of Alonsa in Manitoba
|Incorporated||January 1, 1945|
|• Reeve||Stan Asham|
|• Councillors||Colin Mailman|
|• Office location||Alonsa|
|• Total||2,977.50 km2 (1,149.62 sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC-6 (CST)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-5 (CDT)|
Alonsa is a rural municipality (RM) in the province of Manitoba in Western Canada. It lies on the west side of Lake Manitoba. The Ebb and Flow 52 Indian reserve is located within the borders of the municipality. The 6 ha Margaret Bruce Beach Provincial Park is located within the RM, 12 kilometres east of the town of Alonsa, on one of a series of sand ridges that extend the length of the west side lake. The park is currently under lease to a private operator but development plans include a provincial campground and day use facility.
The Metis people of Eddystone first settled at this location northeast of McCreary, and south of Lonely Lake. In 1938 Jim Spence donated a piece of land to erect the St. Thomas Aquinas Catholic Church. Joe Spence, Entienne St. Germain and others got together to build the church. Their priest, Father Peter, came from Cayer (north of Lonely Lake) to serve the community for many years.
The incorporation of Alonsa on 1 January 1945 was as a Local Government District (LGD). It received RM status on 1 January 1997.
- Lonely Lake
- Moore Dale
- Reedy Creek
- Silver Ridge
- Margaret Bruce Recreation Parks, Planning Section 3, Gov of Manitoba Conservation
- Barkwell, Lawrence. http://www.metismuseum.ca/media/document.php/149493.Historic%20Manitoba%20Metis%20Settlements%20July%202018%20final.pdf