Princess Lalla Aicha of Morocco
|Princess Lalla Aicha|
|Born||17 June 1931|
Rabat Royal Palace, Rabat, Morocco
|Died||4 September 2011 (aged 80)|
Moulay El Hassan Mausoleum
|Spouse||Moulay Hassan al-Yaqubi|
(m. 1961–1972; divorced)
Moulay Hassan al-Mahdi
(m. 1972–1984; his death)
|Issue||Lalla Zubaida al-Yaqubi|
Lalla Nufissa al-Yaqubi
|Father||Mohammed V of Morocco|
|Mother||Lalla Abla bint Tahar|
Princess Lalla Aicha of Morocco, , (17 June 1931 – 4 September 2011) was the younger sister of the late King Hassan II of Morocco, and daughter of King Mohammed V of Morocco and his second wife, Lalla Abla bint Tahar.
Life and career
Princess Lalla Aicha was born at Rabat Royal Palace in Rabat, she was privately educated in Rabat and awarded a Baccalauréat degree. The exile in 1953 of Mohammed V and his family on Corsica interrupted her studies in languages. Lalla Aicha was the Ambassador of Morocco to the United Kingdom between 1965 and 1969, and then to Greece from 1969 to 1970, and to Italy between 1970 and 1973.
She was the first president of the Entraide Nationale, as well as president of the Moroccan Red Crescent Society from the 1950s until 1967 and honorary president of the National Union of Moroccan Women since 1969 until her death in 2011, at age 81.
She married first on 16 August 1961 (in a triple ceremony with her sisters, Malika and Fatima), at the Dar al-Makhzin in Rabat, Moulay Hassan al-Yaqubi (also named Hassan El Yacoubi) (born 1935). Together they had two daughters:
- Lalla Zubaida al-Yaqubi (also named Zoubida El Yacoubi), Vice-Consul at New York 1985.
- Lalla Nufissa al-Yaqubi (also named Noufissa El Yacoubi), Vice-Consul at New York 1986.
Secondly, after their divorce in 1972, she married in August 1972 Moulay Hassan al-Mahdi (1912-1984), third son of Moulay Muhammad al-Mahdi bin Ismail, Khalifa of Tetuan.
Titles, styles and honours
Titles and styles
She received the following honours during her lifetime:
- Grand Cordon of the Order of the Throne of the Kingdom of Morocco (1963).
- Grand Cross of the Order of Merit of the Italian Republic of the Italian Republic (01/07/1970).
- Honorary Dame Commander of the Royal Victorian Order of the United Kingdom (DCVO, 27/10/1980).
Honorary military appointments
- Princess Lalla Joumala Alaoui (her niece), current Ambassador to the United States since 2016.
- Telquel Online no. 263 "Ambassadrice Lalla Aïcha, Au nom de la sœur" (retrieved 20 September 2008) Archived 29 March 2008 at the Wayback Machine
- "Galerie photo de la princesse", Moroccan Red Crescent Society Archived 2012-04-02 at the Wayback Machine
- Telquel Online, #304-05, Hassan Hamdani, "Histoire: Lalla Aïcha, La princesse nationaliste" (retrieved 20 September 2008) Archived 19 November 2008 at the Wayback Machine
- web, Segretariato generale della Presidenza della Repubblica-Servizio sistemi informatici- reparto. "Le onorificenze della Repubblica Italiana". Quirinale (in Italian). Retrieved 2018-02-24.