Pomona, New York
Pomona, New York
|Incorporated||February 3, 1967|
|• Mayor||Ian Banks|
|• Deputy Mayor||Carol Mcfarlane|
|• Trustees||Ilan Fuchs and Robert Klein|
|• Total||2.40 sq mi (6.21 km2)|
|• Land||2.40 sq mi (6.21 km2)|
|• Water||0.00 sq mi (0.00 km2)|
|Elevation||453 ft (138 m)|
| • Estimate |
|• Density||1,360.87/sq mi (525.37/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||0960875|
Pomona is a village partly in the town of Ramapo and partly in the town of Haverstraw in Rockland County, New York, United States. It is located north of New Hempstead, east of Harriman State Park, north of Monsey and west of Mount Ivy. According to the 2010 Census, the population was 3,103, a 13 percent increase from the 2000 figure of 2,726.
The current mayor is Ian Banks.
The village of Pomona was incorporated February 3, 1967, within the towns of Ramapo and Haverstraw. Actor Burgess Meredith provided the seed money for the incorporation. Pomona was named after the goddess of fruit trees, gardens, and orchards, for the area's many apple orchards.
Pomona is located at (41.186504, -74.055417).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the village has a total area of 2.4 square miles (6.2 km2), 1.4 square miles (3.6 km2) of which is in the town of Haverstraw and 1.0 sq mi (2.6 km2) of which is in the town of Ramapo. All of Pomona's total area is land.
At the 2010 census there were 3,103 people, 1,011 households, and 863 families in the village. The population density was 1,292.92 people per square mile (492.54/km2). There were 1,054 housing units at an average density of 439.17 per square mile (167.3/km2). The racial makeup of the village was 66.0% white, 19.1% African American, 0.2% Native American, 9.3% Asian, 2.2% from other races, and 3.2% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 7.1%.
Of the 1,011 households 32.7% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 75.6% were married couples living together, 6.6% had a female householder with no husband present, and 14.6% were non-families. 10.7% of households were one person and 3.6% were one person aged 65 or older. The average household size was 3.01 and the average family size was 3.22.
The age distribution was 24.2% age 19 and under, 4.4% from 20 to 24, 20.6% from 25 to 44, 35.0% from 45 to 64, and 15.9% 65 or older. The median age was 45.5 years. For every 100 females, there were 99.2 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 97.8 males.
The median household income was $103,608 and the median family income was $108,399. Males had a median income of $72,857 versus $48,958 for females. The per capita income for the village was $43,946. About 1.5% of families and 2.0% of the population were below the poverty line, including 1.1% of those under age 18 and 7.1% of those age 65 or over.
- Ladentown United Methodist Church, 14 Ladentown Road (NRHP).
- The Pig Knoll School, 584 Route 306 - currently the Pomona Cultural Center.
Landmarks and places of interest
- Pomona Cultural Center, 584 Route 306, Pomona NY 10970
- Palisades Credit Union Park (formerly named Provident Bank Park)
- New York Boulders (formerly Rockland Boulders) - an independent professional baseball team. They are a member of the Frontier League.
- "2019 U.S. Gazetteer Files". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved July 27, 2020.
- "Population and Housing Unit Estimates". United States Census Bureau. May 24, 2020. Retrieved May 27, 2020.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "U.S. Census website". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.