Pirates of the Caribbean
|Pirates of the Caribbean|
|Created by||Walt Disney|
|Original work||Pirates of the Caribbean|
(1967; theme park ride)
The Curse of the Black Pearl
|Owned by||The Walt Disney Company|
|Films and television|
|Video game(s)||List of video games|
|Theme park attraction(s)|
|a Crossover work where characters and settings from this franchise appear.|
Pirates of the Caribbean is a Disney media franchise encompassing numerous theme park rides, a series of films, and spin-off novels, as well as a number of related video games and other media publications. The franchise originated with the Pirates of the Caribbean theme ride, which opened at Disneyland in 1967 and was one of the last Disneyland rides overseen by Walt Disney. Disney based the ride on pirate legends and folklore.
Pirates of the Caribbean became a media franchise with the release of Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl in 2003. As of October 2016, Pirates of the Caribbean rides can be found at five Disney Parks, Experiences and Products. The films have grossed over $4.5 billion worldwide as of March 2019, putting the film franchise 14th in the list of all-time highest-grossing franchises and film series.
- Pirates of the Caribbean
- Pirates of the Caribbean: Battle for the Sunken Treasure
- Pirate's Lair on Tom Sawyer Island
Pirates of the Caribbean film series
- Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl (2003)
- Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest (2006)
- Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End (2007)
- Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides (2011)
- Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales (2017)
- Pirates of the Caribbean (originally entitled Sea Dogs II) was released in 2003 by Bethesda Softworks to coincide with the release of Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl. Although it had no relation to the characters, it features the movie's storyline about cursed Aztec gold and undead pirates, and it was the first of several games to be based on the franchise.
- Pirates of the Caribbean Multiplayer Mobile for mobile phones
- Pirates of the Caribbean Online a massively multiplayer online role-playing game which was released in October 2007.
- Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl for Game Boy Advance (Nintendo) and a few others. This game is based on Captain Jack Sparrow's misadventures in the pursuit of saving Ria Anasagasti with his shipmate Will Turner.
- Pirates of the Caribbean: The Legend of Jack Sparrow was released for the PlayStation 2 console and for PC.
- Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest, was released for the Nintendo DS, PlayStation Portable, Game Boy Advance and others.
- Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End was released on May 22, 2007 and was based on the film of the same name which was released on May 25, 2007. It was the first game in the series to be released for a seventh generation console.
- Pirates of the Caribbean: Armada of the Damned, an action and role playing video game, was being developed by Propaganda Games but was cancelled in October 2010.
- Lego Pirates of the Caribbean: The Video Game, released in May 2011, is the most recent Pirates game. It features all four films as well as over 70 characters and over 21 levels.
- Pirates of the Caribbean: Master of the Seas, a gaming app available on Android and iOS.
- Jack Sparrow, Hector Barbossa, and Davy Jones are playable characters in Disney Infinity and other entries in its series. A playset themed after the franchise was included with the starter pack.
Two series of young reader books have been released as prequels to the first film:
- Pirates of the Caribbean: Jack Sparrow (12 books)
- Pirates of the Caribbean: Legends of the Brethren Court (5 books)
In addition there is a novel written for adults:
One young reader book was made as a prequel to the fifth film:
- The Brightest Star in the North: The Adventures of Carina Smyth by Meredith Rusu
Several additional works have been derived from the franchise:
- In 2000, Pirates of the Caribbean: Battle for Buccaneer Gold, opened at DisneyQuest at Florida's Walt Disney World Resort. The ride allows up to five players to board a virtual pirate ship and attempt to sink other ships with water cannons.
- Ron Gilbert has said that the Secret of Monkey Island video game series took inspiration from Pirates of the Caribbean (especially upon seeing the second film), although he has said that he mainly got his inspiration from Tim Powers' book On Stranger Tides (which later inspired the fourth film in the franchise). Within both the film and the Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge adventure game is a key-carrying dog named Walt, whose name is a nod to Walt Disney and whose appearance is based on the jail scene from the rides.
- A Pirates of the Caribbean board game Monopoly is manufactured by USAopoly.
- A Pirates of the Caribbean version of the board game The Game of Life was developed.
- A Pirates of the Caribbean version of the board game Battleship is produced by Hasbro under the title of Battleship Command.
- Pirates of the Caribbean was the name of a team participating in the 2005–2006 Volvo Ocean Race. Their boat was named the Black Pearl.
- The British melodic hard rock band Ten released an album entitled Isla de Muerta, the title of which is about the legendary island of the series.
- Jack Sparrow
- Hector Barbossa
- Will Turner
- Joshamee Gibbs
- Elizabeth Swann
- Henry Turner
- Davy Jones
- James Norrington
- Cutler Beckett
- Weatherby Swann
- Pintel and Ragetti
- Tia Dalma
- "Johnny Depp Movies List by Box Office Sales". JohnnyDeppMoviesList.org. Archived from the original on May 24, 2017. Retrieved January 22, 2015.
- "Disney's Pirates of the Caribbean Online". Disney. October 31, 2007. Archived from the original on October 7, 2013. Retrieved January 24, 2017.
- Lego Pirates Of The Caribbean slips anchor. Metro.co.uk (November 19, 2010). Retrieved on December 24, 2011.
- Pirates of the Caribbean: Master of the Seas Review, iPhone and iPod Touch Application Reviews and News. 148Apps (October 31, 2011). Retrieved on December 24, 2011.
- "Disney Quest Indoor Interactive Theme Park". Orlando Tickets, Hotels, Packages. January 20, 2016. Retrieved August 12, 2020.
- Ron Gilbert (June 24, 2006). "The Monkey Island Movie". Grumpy Gamer. Archived from the original on March 3, 2008. Retrieved July 9, 2010.
- "Piratas do Caribe: USAopoly anuncia edição especial de tabuleiro". Geek Publicitário (in Portuguese). April 26, 2017. Retrieved August 12, 2020.
- "Team News: Pirates of the Caribbean". Volvo Ocean Race. Retrieved August 3, 2006.