A Sinus landing grass runway.
|Operator||Gatineau Gliding Club|
|Time zone||EST (UTC−05:00)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC−04:00)|
|Elevation AMSL||260 ft / 79 m|
|Website||Gatineau Gliding Club|
Pendleton Airport, (TC LID: CNF3), is located 3 nautical miles (5.6 km; 3.5 mi) northwest of Pendleton, Ontario, Canada, east of Ottawa. The airfield is currently operated by the Gatineau Gliding Club.
World War II (1942-1945)
During the Second World War, Pendleton Airport was established as RCAF Station Pendleton and hosted No. 10 Elementary Flying Training School for the British Commonwealth Air Training Plan after the school moved from Hamilton in 1942. The school provided initial pilot training on Tiger Moth and Finch aircraft. While most of the airports involved in the plan have either closed or gone through extensive changes, Pendleton still preserves most of the original character of a BCATP airport: it has the original three short runways arranged in a triangle (though some are in disrepair), and several of the original World War II buildings, including the main hangar.
In approximately 1942 the aerodrome was listed as RCAF Aerodrome - Pendleton, Ontario at with a variation of 14 degrees east and elevation of 260 ft (79 m). Three runways were listed as follows:
|17/35||2,550 ft (780 m)||100 ft (30 m)||Hard surfaced|
|13/31||2,550 ft (780 m)||100 ft (30 m)||Hard surfaced|
|8/26||2,550 ft (780 m)||100 ft (30 m)||Hard surfaced|
Post war (1945-Present)
The Gatineau Gliding Club purchased the airfield from Crown Assets in 1961 and is the owner since then. The Gatineau Gliding Club is a non-profit organization dedicated to promoting motorless flight in Canada.