|Born||June 18, 1975|
Champaign, Illinois, United States
Patrick Melton (born June 18, 1975) is an American screenwriter, producer and novelist.
Melton was born in Champaign, Illinois, but grew up mostly in Evanston, Illinois. He attended Evanston Township High School, and graduated from the University of Iowa with a Bachelor's Degree in Communication Studies. He also attended Loyola Marymount University in Los Angeles, where he received a MFA in screenwriting. He is the writing partner of college friend Marcus Dunstan.
In 2004, Melton won Project Greenlight Season 3 along with Marcus Dunstan and John Gulager. The TV show premiered on Bravo and resulted in the horror/comedy film Feast. Based on its success, two sequels followed, Feast II: Sloppy Seconds and Feast III: The Happy Finish. However, it was Melton's involvement with Saw, the most successful horror franchise of all-time, that brought him worldwide recognition and international box office success. He wrote Saw IV, Saw V, Saw VI and Saw 3D for a worldwide take of nearly $500,000,000. Additionally, Melton wrote the home invasion thriller The Collector, which was directed by his longtime writing partner, Marcus Dunstan.
Additionally, the writing team of Melton & Dunstan have performed writing duties on Lionsgate's My Bloody Valentine 3D, Piranha 3D by Alexandre Aja, a remake of Clive Barker's Hellraiser, a remake of William Castle's classic horror film The Tingler at Columbia Pictures for producer Neal Moritz, a remake of Scanners by David Cronenberg, a film adaptation of the classic sci-fi TV anthology The Outer Limits for MGM, and the action/adventure tentpole Pacific Rim by Guillermo Del Toro for Legendary Pictures and Warner Bros.
The sequel to Melton and Dunstan's horror film The Collector, named The Collection and again directed by Dunstan, started filming in Atlanta, GA during the spring of 2011. It was theatrically released in 2012.
In December 2011, Melton sold a sci-fi pitch titled Rise to Warner Bros. along with his writing partner Marcus Dunstan. David Karlak is attached to direct and Roy Lee, producer of The Ring, is attached to produce.
Melton & Dunstan performed writing work on the religious-themed horror/thriller film titled The Occult to be directed by Christian E. Christiansen and starring Rufus Sewell and Anne Heche, which is filming in 2012 with a theatrical release slated for 2013.
In June 2013, Melton sold a sci-fi pitch titled Outliers to 20th Century Fox along with his writing partner Marcus Dunstan. David Karlak is attached to direct and Peter Chernin, producer of Rise of the Planet of the Apes, is attached to produce. In 2015 they co-wrote a screenplay for the 11th Halloween installment, which was originally planned with a release in 2015 under the direction of Dunstan.
|2008||Feast II: Sloppy Seconds||$2,000,000|
|2009||Feast III: The Happy Finish||$2,000,000|
|2014||The Outer Limits|
With success in film, Melton & Dunstan set their sights on television and sold several ideas to FOX, CBS, and ABC. In October 2006, the duo sold their first television idea to FOX titled The Vineyard. It was a raunchy half-hour horror/comedy with Family Guy show runner Chris Sheridan attached as Executive Producer.
In 2008, Melton & Dunstan sold an hourlong drama to CBS titled The Good Neighbor.
On October 5, 2011, Melton's debut novel, Black Light, co-written with Marcus Dunstan and Stephen Romano, was released by Mulholland Books, an imprint of Little, Brown and Company, and in the UK by Mulholland Books, an imprint of Hodder & Stoughton. It is currently being adapted into a film for producer Michael De Luca.
- 2011 Black Light
- "Saw: The Most Successful Horror Franchise of All Time". Time. July 25, 2010.
- "Saw Movies at the Box Office". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved 2016-06-29.
- "Cockneys vs. Zombies TV Spot Arrives via Walker - Dread Central". www.dreadcentral.com.
- "Error". The New York Times.
- Decker, Sean (2010-11-16). "Exclusive: Patrick Melton talks Piranha 3DD, The Collection, The Outer Limits and More!". Dread Central. Retrieved 2016-06-29.
- "Chiller | Scary Good". Fearnet.com. Retrieved 2016-06-29.
- "Movie News - Moviefone.com". Blog.moviefone.com. Retrieved 2016-06-29.
- "Patrick Melton and Marcus Dunstan Feeling The Tingler". Movieweb.com. Retrieved 2016-06-29.
- "Interview - Patrick Melton Talks Saw 7 3D, Scanners Remake and More!". Killerreviews.com. Retrieved 2016-06-29.
- "Patrick Melton on "The Outer Limits" Movie". WorstPreviews.com. Retrieved 2016-06-29.
- "Saw VII 3D the Final Entry in the Franchise?".
- "Will 'Saw VII 3D' Carry the Moniker 'Endgame' & Conclude the Franchise? - Bloody Disgusting". www.bloody-disgusting.com.
- "Halloween Is Returning to Haddonfield". bloody-disgusting.com.
- <%- movieName %> (2011-12-12). "Liddell Entertainment Launches LD Distribution". ComingSoon.net. Retrieved 2016-06-29.
- Barton, Steve (2011-12-14). "Warner Brothers Ready to Rise". Dread Central. Retrieved 2016-06-29.
- Puchko, Kristy (2012-03-12). "The Occult Adds Colm Meany, Remains Mysterious". Cinemablend. Retrieved 2016-06-29.
- Kit, Borys (2012-07-10). "'Pacific Rim' Writers Tapped for 'God of War' Adaptation (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 2012-07-11.
- Lesnick, Silas (2012-07-11). "God of War Back on Track With New Writer Duo". ComingSoon.net. Retrieved 2016-06-29.
- Fleming, Mike (2012-09-25). "Legendary Pictures Fantasy 'Waterproof' Getting Rewrite From Melton & Dunstan". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved 2016-06-29.
- Siegel, Tatiana (June 19, 2013). "Fox Acquires 'Outliers' Pitch for Peter Chernin to Produce (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter.
- Siegel, Tatiana (June 19, 2013). "Finally – New Halloween News!". BD.
- "Halloween Brings Michael Myers Back". bloody-disgusting.com.
- Moore, Debi (2009-08-19). "ABC Checks Into Clive Barker's Hotel". Dread Central. Retrieved 2016-06-29.
- Fleming, Mike (2011-11-02). "Scribe Team Melton & Dunstan Plot Screen Version Of 'Black Light'". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved 2016-06-29.