Location within Papineau RCM
|Coordinates: Coordinates: |
|Constituted||November 29, 2000|
|• Mayor||Christian Beauchamp|
|• Federal riding||Argenteuil—Papineau—Mirabel|
|• Prov. riding||Papineau|
|• Total||64.90 km2 (25.06 sq mi)|
|• Land||61.33 km2 (23.68 sq mi)|
|• Density||34.3/km2 (89/sq mi)|
|• Pop 2011-2016||3.0%|
|Time zone||UTC−5 (EST)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC−4 (EDT)|
The Parish of Sainte-Angélique was formed in 1851, and the parish municipality with the same name was created in 1855. It was named after Angélique-Louise Cornud, wife of Denis-Benjamin Papineau, who donated land for the construction of the church and the rectory.
Also in 1855, a post office was established with the name Papineauville. This may be named in honour of one of two persons named Papineau: Joseph Papineau (1752–1841), father of Louis-Joseph Papineau, who in 1801 bought the lordship of the Petite-Nation where the town formed; or Denis-Benjamin Papineau (1789–1854), brother of Louis-Joseph and husband of Angélique-Louise, and considered the founder of this place.
On November 29, 2000, the Village Municipality of Papineauville and the Parish Municipality of Sainte-Angélique were reunited and merged into the new Municipality of Papineauville. The name Sainte-Angélique now identifies the sector of Papineauville which corresponds to the territory of the former parish municipality.
On January 1, 2002, about 13 square kilometres (5.0 sq mi) of the Presqu'île Peninsula in the Ottawa River was transferred to the municipality of Plaisance.
- English as first language: 2.1%
- French as first language: 95.2%
- English and French as first language: 1.4%
- Other as first language: 1.2%
List of former mayors:
- André Blais (2005–2009)
- Gilles Clément (2009-2013)
- Christian Beauchamp (2013–present)
- Reference number 364753 of the Commission de toponymie du Québec (in French)
- Geographic code 80037 in the official Répertoire des municipalités (in French)
- "(Code 2480037) Census Profile". 2016 census. Statistics Canada. 2017.
- "Sainte-Angélique (Municipalité de paroisse)" (in French). Commission de toponymie du Québec. Retrieved 2008-10-06.
- "Papineauville (Municipalité de village)" (in French). Commission de toponymie du Québec. Archived from the original on 2016-03-03. Retrieved 2008-10-06.
- "2016 Community Profiles". 2016 Canadian Census. Statistics Canada. February 21, 2017. Retrieved 2020-01-30.
- "2011 Community Profiles". 2011 Canadian Census. Statistics Canada. July 5, 2013. Retrieved 2020-01-30.
- "2001 Community Profiles". 2001 Canadian Census. Statistics Canada. February 17, 2012.