|73,680 (by ancestry, 2019)|
|Regions with significant populations|
|Brampton, Calgary, Winnipeg, Regina, Edmonton, Toronto, Windsor|
|English, Igbo, Yoruba, French, Nigerian Pidgin|
|Christianity · Islam|
Nigerian Canadians are Canadian citizens and residents of Nigerian origin and descent. Nigerians began migrating to Canada during the 1967–1970 Biafra War. Nigerians were not broken out separately in immigration statistics until 1973. 3,919 landed immigrants of Nigerian nationality arrived in Canada from 1973 to 1991. There is a significant number of Nigerians living in the Greater Toronto Area, especially in Brampton and Etobicoke. In the 2016 Census, 51,800 people identified themselves as Nigerians, with over half living in Ontario. There are many more Nigerians in Canada, who identified themselves by their tribe instead of their country - such as 9,600 as Yoruba, 5,600 as Igbo, and 1,900 as Edo. There has also been a steady increase in the number of Nigerians living in the western cities of Canada, such as Calgary, Edmonton, and Winnipeg.
- [Robert Adetuyi]], screenwriter and film director
- David Defiagbon, boxer
- Rosey Edeh, track and field athlete, television presenter
- Olu Famutimi, professional basketball player
- Israel Idonije, NFL player for the Chicago Bears
- Daniel Igali, Olympic gold medalist in wrestling
- Jarome Iginla, NHL hockey player for the Los Angeles Kings
- Kaycee Madu, politician.
- Fikayo Tomori, professional soccer player for Chelsea
- Samuel Oghale Oboh, the first person of African descent to be President of the 110-year old Royal Architectural Institute of Canada
- WondaGurl, Hip-hop producer
- Stella Umeh, gymnast
- Adekunle Ajiboye, Innovator and Entrepreneur
- Akolisa Ufodike, politician.
- Luke Ome Agada, A pharmacologist, Public health Professional, and an award winning Pharmacist (Community Pharmacist of the year 2018).
- Sam Adekugbe, professional soccer player for Vancouver Whitecaps
- Tokunbo Adegorite, High school basketball player
This page is based on the Wikipedia
article written by contributors
Text is available under the CC BY-SA 4.0
license; additional terms may apply.
Images, videos and audio are available under their respective licenses.