National Council for Economics and Labour

Constitution of Italy Italian Parliament President of Italy
National Council for Economics and Labour
Consiglio nazionale dell'economia e del lavoro
Villa Lubin 4547.JPG
Agency overview
FormedJanuary 5, 1957 (1957-01-05)
HeadquartersRome, Italy
Employees70 (2014)
Annual budget€ 29.7 million (2014)
Agency executive
  • Salvatore Bosco, President
Websitewww.cnel.it
Emblem of Italy.svg
This article is part of a series on the
politics and government of
Italy
Constitution
Foreign relations

The National Council for Economics and Labour (in italian, Consiglio nazionale dell'economia e del lavoro or CNEL) is a constitutional organ provided for by Article 99 of Constitution of Italy and established in 1957. The CNEL is an assembly of experts that advises the Italian government, Parliament and the regions, and promotes legislative initiatives on economic and social matters. The 2016 italian Constitutional reform tried to abolish it, but the reform was rejected with a popular referendum.

Composition

Article 99 of the Constitution of Italy lays down that "the National Council for Economics and Labour is composed, as set out by law, of experts and representatives of economic categories in such proportions as to take account of their numerical and qualitative importance". Elections of members of the CNEL are held under Law n. 936 of 30 December 1986.

In accordance with Law no. 214 of 2011 the CNEL is composed of 65 members:

Members of the CNEL are elected for five years.

Presidents

# Presidents Mandate
1 Meuccio Ruini 1958 - 1959
2 Pietro Campilli 1959 - 1974
3 Bruno Storti 1977 - 1989
4 Giuseppe De Rita 1989 - 2000
5 Pietro Larizza 2000 - 2005
6 Antonio Marzano 2005 - 2015
7 Salvatore Bosco
(ad interim)
2015 - 2016
8 Delio Napoleone
(ad interim)
2016 - 2017
9 Tiziano Treu 2017 - in office

Headquarters

Villa Lubin (on right) on a 200 Italian lira coin celebrating the first World Food Day in 1981

The CNEL is based in the Villa Lubin, built by David Lubin in the park of Villa Borghese in Rome. It was previously the headquarters of the International Institute of Agriculture, from 1908 to 1945.

Bibliography

See also

References

External links