Municipal Theatre Ignacio A. Pane
In 1843, under the consulate Don Carlos Antonio López and Mariano Roque Alonso, is built the first building to Theatre, Leading the dynamism that was gaining cultural activity in the country.
In 1844 hall was completed for meetings and was inaugurated, and it served as the headquarters for the Congress.
Convinced of the need for open spaces for the various cultural expressions, Carlos Antonio López order converts Theatre in this space, what happens in 1855, Congress being moved to the new Cabildo.
That same year, the president of the Republic, Don Carlos Antonio López, instructed the Spanish journalist and playwright, Ildefonso Antonio Bermejo, opening a theater in Asuncion, and the building of the First National Congress, which was opened on November 4, 1855.
Subsequently Ildefonso A. Bermejo charted plans and built the building, which once completed construction would be the seat of Theatre.
In 1886: Catalan businessman Baudillo Alió won the award of the old coliseum and the land of freedom to lift the square where a new National Theatre and then began the construction of the "National Theatre", which culminated in 1889.
The inauguration took place on July 21, 1889] with the introduction of the Company Orchestra, La Estudiantina Española Figaro, with repertoire of Verdi, Schubert, Flotow and others.
In 1894: La obra de Alió, an extension of the theater Bermejo, remained in the hands of society, were introduced boxes and beautiful courtyards with gardens, the billboard shows went renewing and life of the first coliseum of Assumption drew attention of friends and strangers.
The scenario is reserved for major domestic and foreign companies.
In 1939 it was transferred to the domain of the Municipality of Asuncion, becoming municipal theater.
For the chamber of "Primer Coliseo" of Asuncion, became renowned foreign companies and national opera, operetta, zarzuela and theater.
The Municipal Theatre, this symbolic space was closed in 1995 because of advanced deterioration and even the collapse of certain sectors. In June 1997 in collaboration with the Spanish Cooperation Agency and School of Asuncion started the restoration work.
Back to the life of an invaluable cultural heritage
The restoration of the Municipal Theatre undertaken by the municipal administration progressing according to the new reformulated project that the first call to tender, after the investigations and subsequent archaeological finds.
The historic building and the draft defined that three bodies were formally identified and functional: the building of access, including large drum octagonal plate and block the scenes that is almost a building height. The new idea respects this adds to the overall design and two new elements: a block of services and lateral connections and a large roof over the courtyard north.
In the functional structure is from the new entrances on the street Alberdi, closing it for vehicular use, creating a small square linked to the Theatre and Mail. This proposal does not close the old access, but proposes greater fluidity in the relationship inside-outside.
Considering the three parties listed, intervention in the building of access is limited to recover the original plant, eliminating subsequent additions, to install a new system of bypasses and services and increase capacity in the access original.
The drum presents the same general picture, with a correction from levels in the boxes and a new slope in the stalls to improve visibility. The body of the scene is modified in response to international standards of mouth scenario, depth and noise.
The north courtyard, new component of the project, will be used as a multipurpose hall, integrating the idea of recovering the fragments of the old building of Congress. It is proposed to maintain the texture without altering the overall volume of the whole. The new members formal follow the same patterns and proportions with language neutral synthetic
The first work
There have been passed many years since its inauguration until in June 1997 and with the collaboration of the Spanish Cooperation Agency and the School - Workshop Asunción, began the project through a design competition.
Planners remodeling: Carpelletti, Corvalán, Espínola Assoc.
In the view of the winners of preliminary convened in 1995, Corvalan and Capelletti, the architectural value of the Municipal Theatre is relatively modest, so that before considering what the restoration would rather talk of an intervention to practice in the building. The idea worked for the winners opted to integrate the existing old items with a contemporary approach, with particular emphasis on the privileged position it occupies the building in the heart of the historic center.
Start of works: September 28, 2004.
Completion date: December 2005.
Total area: 4,643 square metres (49,980 sq ft).
Scenario: 225 square metres (2,420 sq ft).
Capacity: 700 locations, divided into 2 parts.
a) Platea: a total of 490 locations.
b) Palco: 3 levels in 70 localities ea,.
Roof: retains its original form but replaces the old wooden structure on the other metal.
This consists of the following: Mouth: width 13.60 m, 8.90 m high, 225 square metres (2,420 sq ft) surface.
The total height of the tower stage is 22 meters.
Fosa Orchestra: 68 square metres (730 sq ft) with a capacity of 90 musicians.
The National Theater was under the municipal administration since the late 19th century and in year 1949 recently changed its name to former Municipal Theatre "Ignacio A. Pane.” It is located in the historic centre of the city Asunción, which comprises the most important public buildings.
The Chamber is a way of horseshoe; has a patio seats surrounded by three tiers of boxes, making a total capacity of 700 locations.
It is planned to maintain elements of the era, such as the railing of the boxes, columns of iron and other decorative details to their rehabilitation.
The New Theatre
In the month of September 2001 was enabled one of the blocks, where they installed "The Cafe Theatre" on the ground floor and a small room for drama, named after Baudilio Alió, in honor of distinguished patron at the corner of President Franco and Alberdi. On April 28, 2003, was enabled Jacinto Herrera room for classes and tests on the first floor and offices on the ground floor of the corner President Franco and Chile.
- Historical Encyclopedia of Paraguay, published by the newspaper the Nation.