List of lieutenant governors of Ontario
The following is a list of Lieutenant Governors of Ontario and the lieutenant governors of the former colony of Upper Canada. The office of Lieutenant Governor of Ontario was created in 1867, when the Province of Ontario was created upon Confederation. The predecessor office, lieutenant governor of Upper Canada, was a British colonial officer, appointed by the British government to administer the government of the colony, from 1791 to 1841. (Prior to 1791, the territory which is now Ontario was part of the old Province of Quebec, which was administered by the colonial governors of the Province of Quebec.)
In 1841, the two provinces of Upper Canada and Lower Canada were abolished and merged into the new Province of Canada, with a single Parliament and Governor General. Upper Canada was known as Canada West, but did not have a separate government or lieutenant governor. It was simply an administrative division of the Province of Canada.
Prior to Confederation, the lieutenant governors of Upper Canada were either British colonial administrators or British Army officers. The first lieutenant governor of Ontario, General Sir Henry William Stisted, was the last British lieutenant governor. From 1868 onwards, only Canadians were appointed to the position.
Lieutenant Governors of Upper Canada, 1791–1841
|#||Image||Name||Governor from||Governor until|
|Lieutenant Governors under King George III (1791 – 1820)|
|1||John Graves Simcoe||1791||1796|
|3||Francis Gore||Acting governors for Francis Gore||1806||1817|
|Sir Isaac Brock||1811||1812|
|Sir Roger Hale Sheaffe||1812||1813|
|Le baron de Rottenburg||1813|
|Sir Gordon Drummond||1813||1814|
|Sir George Murray||1815|
|Sir Frederick Philipse Robinson||1815|
|4||Sir Peregrine Maitland||1818||→|
|Lieutenant Governors under King George IV (1820 – 1830)|
|5||Sir John Colborne||1828||→|
|Lieutenant Governors under King William IV (1830 – 1837)|
|6||Sir Francis Bond Head||1836||→|
|Lieutenant Governors under Queen Victoria (1837 – 1841)|
|7||Sir George Arthur||1838||1839|
|8||The Lord Sydenham||1839||1841|
Lieutenant Governors of Ontario, 1867–present
|#||Image||Name||Governor from||Governor until|
|Lieutenant Governors under Queen Victoria (1867 – 1901)|
|11||1||Henry William Stisted||1867||1868|
|12||2||William Pearce Howland||1868||1873|
|13||3||John Willoughby Crawford||1873||1875|
|Admin.||Sir William Buell Richards||1875|
|14||4||Donald Alexander Macdonald||1875||1880|
|15||5||John Beverley Robinson||1880||1887|
|16||6||Sir Alexander Campbell||1887||1892|
|Admin.||Sir John Hawkins Hagarty||1892|
|17||7||George Airey Kirkpatrick||1892||1896|
|Admin.||Sir Kazimierz Stanislaus Gzowski||1896||1897|
|18||8||Sir Oliver Mowat||1897||→|
|Lieutenant Governors under King Edward VII (1901 – 1910)|
|Admin.||Sir Charles Moss||1903|
|19||9||Sir William Mortimer Clark||1903||1908|
|20||10||Sir John Morison Gibson||1908||→|
|Lieutenant Governors under King George V (1910 – 1936)|
|21||11||Sir John Strathearn Hendrie||1914||1919|
|22||12||Lionel Herbert Clarke||1919||1921|
|Admin.||Sir William Ralph Meredith||1921|
|24||14||William Donald Ross||1927||1931|
|Admin.||Sir William Mulock||1931||1932|
|25||15||Herbert Alexander Bruce||1932||→|
|Lieutenant Governors under King Edward VIII (1936)|
|Lieutenant Governors under King George VI (1936 – 1952)|
|26||16||Albert Edward Matthews||1937||1946|
|27||17||Frank Ray Lawson||1946||→|
|Lieutenant Governors under Queen Elizabeth II (1952 – present)|
|28||18||Louis Orville Breithaupt||1952||1957|
|29||19||John Keiller MacKay||1957||1963|
|30||20||William Earl Rowe||1963||1968|
|31||21||William Ross Macdonald||1968||1974|
|32||22||Pauline Mills McGibbon||1974||1980|
|33||23||John Black Aird||1980||1985|
|34||24||Lincoln MacCauley Alexander||1985||1991|
|35[† 1]||25||Henry Newton Rowell Jackman||1991||1997|
|36||26||Hillary Mary Weston||1997||2002|
|37||27||James Karl Bartleman||2002||2007|
|38||28||David Charles Onley||2007||2014|
- Constitution Act, 1867, s. 58.
- R. Mealing, Stanley (1 February 2017). "John Graves Simcoe". The Canadian Encyclopedia. Retrieved 14 February 2020.
- Firth, Edith G. (2003). "Biography - RUSSEL, PETER - Volume V". Dictionary of Canadian Biography. Retrieved 14 February 2020.
- "Biography - HUNTER, PETER". Dictionary of Canadian Biography. 2003. Retrieved 14 February 2020.
- Whitfield, Carol (2003). "Biography - GRANT, ALEXANDER". Dictionary of Canadian Biography. Retrieved 14 February 2020.
- Mealing, S. R. (2003). "GORE, FRANCIS". Dictionary of Canadian Biography. Retrieved 14 February 2020.
- Mealing, S. R. (2003). "Smith, Samuel". Dictionary of Canadian Biography. Retrieved 14 February 2020.
- Bowsfield, Hartwell (2003). "MAITLAND, Sir PEREGRINE". Dictionary of Canadian Biography. Retrieved 14 February 2020.
- Wilson, Alan (2003). "COLBORNE, JOHN". Dictionary of Canadian Biography. Retrieved 14 February 2020.
- Wise, S.F. (2003). "Head, Sir Francis Bond". Dictionary of Canadian Biography. Retrieved 14 February 2020.
- Buckner, Philip (2003). "ARTHUR, GEORGE". Dictionary of Canadian Biography. Retrieved 14 February 2020.
- "THOMSON, CHARLES EDWARD POULETT". Dictionary of Canadian Biography. 2003. Retrieved 14 February 2020.
- "History - Lieutenant Governor Of Ontario". Lieutenant governor of ontario. 2020.