List of European countries by area
Some states (marked *) are only partially located in Europe. Those are ranked according to the size of their European part only.
Inland water is included in area numbers.
|Rank||State||Total area (km²)||Total area (sq mi)||Notes|
|1||Russia*||3,995,200||1,542,600||17,098,242 km2 (6,601,668 sq mi) including Siberia|
|3||France*||551,695||213,011||643,801 km2 (248,573 sq mi) when the overseas departments are included.|
|4||Spain*||498,511||192,476||505,990 km2 (195,360 sq mi) when the Canary Islands, Ceuta and Melilla are included.|
|6||Norway||385,178||148,718||This includes Svalbard and Jan Mayen.|
|11||United Kingdom*||242,495||93,628||Not including British Overseas Territories.|
|14||Kazakhstan*||148,000||57,000 (est.)||(Territory West of Ural River is counted as Europe) 2,724,902 km2 (1,052,091 sq mi) including most Asian part|
|19||Portugal||91,568||35,355||This includes the Azores Islands and the Madeira Archipelago|
|22||Serbia||77,453||29,905||88,361 km2 (34,116 sq mi) including Kosovo|
|27||Bosnia and Herzegovina||51,129||19,741|
|30||Denmark*||44,493||17,179||This includes Faroe Islands; 2,210,579 km2 (853,509 sq mi) including Greenland|
|32||Netherlands*||41,198||15,907||Excluding Caribbean Netherlands, Aruba, Curacao and Sint Maarten.|
|35||Armenia*||29,843||11,522||Sometimes considered part of Asia|
|38||Turkey*||23,764||9,175||783,562 km2 (302,535 sq mi) including Asian part|
|41||Kosovo||10,887||4,203||Partially recognised state|
|42||Cyprus||9,251||3,572||A Mediterranean island near Turkey in the Middle East, it is a member of the EU|
|43||Azerbaijan*||6,960||2,690||86,600 km2 (33,400 sq mi) including Asian part|
|45||Georgia*||2,428||937||69,700 km2 (26,900 sq mi) including Asian part|
Europe and Asia are contiguous with each other and thus the exact boundary between them is not clearly defined, and often follows historical, political, and cultural definitions rather than geographical.
Legend: blue = Contiguous transcontinental states; green = Sometimes considered European but geographically outside Europe's boundaries.
The area of European countries varies widely, over several orders of magnitude:
- List of African countries by area
- List of Asian countries by area
- List of North American countries by area
- List of Oceanian countries by area
- List of South American countries by area
- "Map and Details of all 7 Continents". WorldAtlas. Retrieved May 4, 2019.
- Including the disputed territory of Crimea.
- "The World Factbook - Central Asia - Russia". CIA World Factbook. Central Intelligence Agency. Retrieved 3 May 2019.
- "Ukraine". United Nations in Ukraine. Retrieved 2020-02-14.
- "Entorno físico y medio ambiente" (PDF). Instituto Nacional de Estadística. p. 10. Retrieved 4 August 2019.
- "Updated land cover figures". ssb.no. Retrieved 2015-11-21.
- "Fläche und Bevölkerung". www.statistikportal.de (in German).
- "Latvia country profile". 29 March 2019. Retrieved 2019-10-28 – via www.bbc.com.
- "Europe :: Cyprus — The World Factbook - Central Intelligence Agency". www.cia.gov. Retrieved 2020-04-28.
- The map shows one of the most commonly accepted delineations of the geographical boundaries of Europe, as used by National Geographic and Encyclopædia Britannica. Whether countries are considered in Europe or Asia can vary in sources, for example in the classification of the CIA World Factbook or that of the BBC. Certain countries in Europe, such as France, have territories lying geographically outside Europe, but which are nevertheless considered integral parts of that country.