L. N. Gumilyov Eurasian National University
Л.Н. Гумилёв атындағы Еуразия ұлттық университеті
|Established||23 May 1996|
|Colours||Blue and white|
The L. N. Gumilyov Eurasian National University (ENU) (Kazakh: L.N. Gýmilev atyndaǵy Eýrazııa ulttyq ýnıversıteti (EUÝ), Russian: Евразийский национальный университет имени Л.Н. Гумилёва (ЕНУ)), is a Kazakh national research university and largest institution for higher education in Nur-Sultan.
The university was founded on 23 May 1996 as the result of merger of Akmola Civil Engineering Institute and Akmola Pedagogical Institute. It was named L. N. Gumilyov Eurasian University in honour of the idea of the Eurasian Union and Lev Gumilyov, a historian and ethnologist, one of the founders of the Eurasianism concept. As the result of merger with the Academy of Diplomacy of Ministry of International Relations of Kazakhstan in 2000, it was renamed L. N. Gumilyov Eurasian State University, and in 2001, the university gained national university status and was renamed L. N. Gumilyov Eurasian National University.
ENU includes 28 scientific institutions (research institutes, laboratories, centers), 13 schools, the Military Department, and cultural and educational centers of different countries. The system of specialist training at the university is conducted on 3 levels of education: basic higher education (Bachelor's programme, the Master's programme and Ph.D. doctorate).
Admission to ENU is carried out on the basis of state educational grants and on a contractual basis. The university offers 65 Bachelor's programs, 68 Master's programs and 38 PhD programs.
ENU was founded on 23 May 1996, on the initiative of Nursultan Nazarbayev, the President of the Republic of Kazakhstan, on the basis of joining of two universities, Akmola Civil Engineering Institute and Akmola Pedagogical Institute. The University was granted a special status of national by the Presidential Decree from 5 July 2001, “considering the significant contribution to the development and professional formation of a person on the basis of national and universal values, science and technology”. It is highly symbolic that the university was in honour of a historian and ethnologist, one of the founders of the Eurasianism concept, Lev Gumilyov.
- Decree of the President of the Republic of Kazakhstan on L. N. Gumilyov Eurasian University (23 May 1996)
- Resolution of the Government of the Republic of Kazakhstan (24 October 2000, no. 1589)
- Resolution of the Government of the Republic of Kazakhstan on renaming of several higher educational institutions (29 June 2001, no. 892)
- Decree of the President of the Republic of Kazakhstan on conferring of special status to individual state institutions of higher education (5 July 2001, no. 648)
- Decree of the President of the Republic of Kazakhstan on issues of state higher educational institutions, the first heads of which are appointed to positions and relieved by the president of the republic Kazakhstan (21 April 2008, no. 573)
- The charter of the Republican state enterprise “L.N. Gumilyov Eurasian National University” of the Ministry of Education and Science of the Republic of Kazakhstan approved by the Order of the Chairman of the Committee of State property and privatization of the Ministry of Finance of the Republic of Kazakhstan (3 September 2009, no. 483)
- Certificate ISO 9001:2000.
- ENU has been considered a higher educational institution of the international level since 2000.
- Kazakh Branch of the Moscow State University was opened on the basis of the Eurasian National University in 2000.
- Study-Museum of Lev Gumilyov was opened at ENU on the initiative of Myrzatai Zholdasbekov, Rector, on 1 October 2002.
- The bust of the Eurasian was mounted at educational and administrative building of ENU in September 2008.
- XI Congress of the Eurasian Association of Universities was held in ENU at 10 March 2009.
- In 2012, the Eurasian National University will become the Centre of Commemorative Celebrations, devoted to the 100th anniversary of the birth of Lev Gumilyov.
- QS World University Ranking - 418
- QS Top 50 Under 50 - 35
- University Ranking by Academic Performance - 1893
- Webometrics Ranking of World Universities - 1895
- QS Emerging Europe and Central Asia University Ranking - 33
- QS Ranking by Subjects “Physics & Astronomy” - топ-500
- School of Information Technologies
- School of Natural Sciences
- School of Economics
- School of Philology
- School of Law
- School of Mechanics and Mathematics
- School of Journalism and Political Science
- School of Transport and Energy
- School of Architecture and Construction
- School of International Relations
- School of Physics and Technical Sciences
- School of Social Sciences
- School of History
- Military Department
- Geotechnical Scientific Research Institute
- Expert Scientific Research Institute
- "Technology, mechanization and automation of building and transport processes" Research and Design Laboratory
- The Eurasian Mathematical Institute
- Institute of Theoretical Mathematics and Scientific Computations
- Institute for Basic Research
- Institute of Physics and High Technologies
- Eurasian International Center of Theoretical Physics
- The Research Institute of Bioorganic Chemistry
- Institute of Cell Biology and Biochemical Technology
- Institute of Experimental Biology and Ecology
- Engineering Laboratory of the L. N.Gumilyov Eurasian National University
- Eurasia Research Centre of Humanitarian Researches
- Otyrar Library Research Centre
- Alash Institute of Culture and Spiritual Heritage
- K.A.Akishev Research Institute of Archeology
- Konfusyi Institute
- Turkology and Altaistics Research Centre
- Laboratory of Intercultural Communication and Applied Linguistics
- Laboratory for Sociology and Urban Studies
- RSI Legal Research and Expertise of Draft Law
- Institute on Research of Problems of Journalism
- Econometrics Scientifically and Research Laboratory
- Center for International and Regional Studies
- Institute of Modern Research
International cooperation of ENU is based on 268 contracts with universities-partners in Europe, Asia, America, 23 scientific centers and research institutes, as well as embassies, international scientific and educational funds. ENU cooperates with programists as Mr.Serik from NIS and universities as Cambridge, University Sussex, Lomonosov Moscow State University, Bologna University, Berlin Technical University, University of Valenciennes, Busan University, Wuhan University, University of Calgary, etc
ENU is a full member of international associations and consortiums:
- Eurasian Association of Universities
- IREG Observatory on Academic Ranking and Excellence
- Observatory Magnum Charter Universitatum
- Network University of CIS
- University of Shanghai Cooperation Organization
- Consortium of European countries' universities
- United Nations Academic Impact (UNAI)
- Turkic Universities Council
- National Inter-university Consortium for Telecommunication
- Association of Asian Universities
Museum of Turkic Script
The Museum of Turkic Script of ENU is a scientific, educational-auxiliary and cultural-educational unit of the university. It opened on September 18, 2003. Exhibits of the museum of the history of Turkic script are focused on learning the history of letters. Gathered here is the rich heritage of world culture-samples used by Turkic peoples of the Eurasian space. The co-founders of the nomadic Eurasian civilization of Turkic peoples in history have suggested the idea of "Eternal Ale". They spoke the 26 related languages that originated from one root, and used 16 writing systems since ancient times. The first Turkic words were recorded in letters and became the basis for the further evolution of the Turkic language system back in the 5th and 4th centuries BC. Among the valuable exhibits of the museum are inscriptions on stones of different periods, from the Kangly era (2nd century BC) until the 19th century. They were brought from Mongolia, Xian, and Altay.
Study-museum of Lev Gumilyov
Study-museum of Lev Gumilyov at the university opened on October 1, 2002. Investigators of the scholar’s creativity, such as E.Dilmukhamedova, M.Novgorodova, M.Kozyreva, V.Bilichenko, E.Maslova, assisted in the establishment of the museum. In 2004, Nataliya Gumilyova, Lev Gumilyov’s wife, bequeathed to the Eurasian National University the Moscow Office of the scientist: a desktop, a printing machine where the scientist published his works (“Continental”), an arm-chair, a bookcase, books, photographs and various memorial objects (sculptures, vases, bottles).
The foundation of the study-museum contains personal records and books from the personal library of Lev Gumilyov, books that he authored (a treatise «Этногенез и биосфера Земли» (“Ethnogenesis and the biosphere of the Earth”), «Степная Трилогия» (“Steppe Trilogy”), «Древняя Русь и Великая степь» (“Ancient Rus and Great steppe”), «Открытие Хазарии» (“Discovery of Hazariya”), «Тысячелетие вокруг Каспия» (“Millennium around the Caspian Sea”), «Арабески истории» (“Arabesque of history”, etc.), photographs of various archaeological expeditions, films about the scientist, video tapes with records of tele-cycles on the history of the Turkic peoples and peoples of Central Asia and the funeral of Lev Gumilyov (June 20, 1992). The study-museum is attended annually by dozens of foreign delegations, hundreds of thousands of statesmen, scientists, students, young researchers. The museum room is used as the acting laboratory of the Department of Eurasian Studies. On October 1, 2012, the University is going to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the birth of the scientist, the author of the theory of passionarism Lev Gumilyov.
- Amangeldi Kussainov (1996–2000)
- Myrzatai Zholdasbekov (2000–2004)
- Sarsengali Abdimanapov (2004–2008)
- Bakhytzhan Abdraim (2008–2011)
- Yerlan Sydykov (2011–present)