|College of Agriculture|
Motto in English
|Established||February 2, 1943|
|Founders||Plaek Phibunsongkhram |
Luang Suwan Vajokkasikij
|President||Chongrak Wachrinrat, Ph.D.|
|Campus||Urban and Rural (varied by campus)|
Kasetsart University (KU) (Thai: มหาวิทยาลัยเกษตรศาสตร์; RTGS: Mahawitthayalai Kasetsat) is a public research university in Bangkok, Thailand. It was Thailand's first agricultural university and Thailand's third oldest university. It was established on 2 February 1943 to promote subjects related to agricultural science. Since then, Kasetsart University has expanded its subject areas to cover life sciences, science, engineering, social sciences, and humanities. Kasetsart University's main campus is in Bangkhen, northern Bangkok, with several other campuses throughout Thailand. It is one of the largest university in Thailand.
In 1902, King Chulalongkorn attempted to promote the country's silk, silverware, and weaving industries. He hired Dr Kametaro Toyama, from the University of Tokyo, to train Siamese students in Japanese silk and weaving crafts. In 1904, the School of Sericulture was founded at Tambon Thung Saladaeng, Bangkok by Prince Benbadhanabongse, the Director of the Department of Sericulture of the Ministry of Agriculture. The school was renamed the School of Agriculture in 1906.
In 1908, the School of the Ministry of Agriculture was founded at Windsor Palace as the Ministry of Agriculture merged three schools, the School of Surveying (founded in 1882), the School of Irrigation (founded in 1905), and the School of Agriculture. Thailand's first tertiary-level agriculture curriculum began to offer courses in 1909.
In 1917, Phraya Thepsartsatit and Chaophraya Thammasakmontri of the Ministry of Education founded the first primary school of agriculture under the Ministry of Agriculture, named the Primary School Agriculture Teacher Training School in Tambon Horwang. It moved to Tambon Phra Prathon, Nakhon Pathom Province in 1918.
In 1931, Prince Sithiporn Kridakara and Chaophraya Thammasakmontri together expanded the school regionally. In the central region, a campus was located in Saraburi Province, in the northern region in Chiang Mai Province, in the northeastern region in Nakhon Ratchasima Province, and in the southern region in Songkhla Province.
In 1935, the Primary School Agriculture Teacher Training School in each part of the country was closed and merged following the agricultural education policy in that time. Luang Ingkhasikasikan, Luang Suwan Vajokkasikij, and Phra Chuangkasetsinlapakan together proposed to maintain the Mae Jo School (today's Mae Jo University) at Chiang Mai Province only and renamed it Secondary-level Agriculture Technical School before it was elevated to the College of Agriculture, under the Department of Agriculture and Fisheries.
The Ministry of Agriculture established the Central Agriculture Station or "Kaset Klang", in Bang Khen District, Bangkok. It caused the College of Agriculture to move to Bang Khen District in 1938 and the government office at Chiang Mai Province became Kasetsart Preparatory School to prepare students to study at the College of Agriculture in Bang Khen.
In 1943, Field Marshal Plaek Phibunsongkhram promoted the College of Agriculture and established Kasetsart University as a department of the Ministry of Agriculture. The university consisted of four faculties: agriculture, fisheries, forestry, and cooperatives (today's Faculty of Economics and Faculty of Business Administration).
In 1966, Mom Luang Xujati Kambhu, the Fifth President of Kasetsart University, judged the Bang Khen campus too confined and unable to support the education in agricultural sciences called for by the National Social and Economics Development Plan. The Kamphaeng Saen campus was established on 12 November 1979 as a result.
The university further expanded by establishing Sriracha campus, Chalermphrakiat Sakon Nakhon Province campus, Suphan Buri campus, Krabi campus and Lopburi campus. The university already established Si Racha campus in 1989 and the Chalermphrakiat Sakon Nakhon Province campus on 15 August 1996.
Kasetsart University's symbol is Phra Phirun, the god of rain mounted on a Nāga with encircled by lotus petals and then by the words "มหาวิทยาลัยเกษตรศาสตร์ พ.ศ. ๒๔๘๖" in the Thai version and "KASETSART UNIVERSITY 1943" in the English version.
The nontri tree has been a symbol of Kasetsart University since 1963. The king and queen planted nine nontri trees in the front of Kasetsart University's main auditorium on 29 November 1963 which became historic day for Nisit Kasetsart.
The nontri is a tree in the family Fabaceae. It is a long-lived evergreen with grey-brown bark with upright branches. The leaves are bipinnate compound and the flowers are yellow, produced in large compound racemes. Its fruit is a pod containing seeds.
- Faculty of Agriculture
- Faculty of Agro-Industry
- Faculty of Architecture
- Faculty of Business Administration
- Faculty of Economics
- Faculty of Education
- Faculty of Engineering
- Faculty of Environment
- Faculty of Fisheries
- Faculty of Forestry
- Faculty of Humanities
- Faculty of Science
- Faculty of Social Sciences
- Faculty of Veterinary Medicine
- Faculty of Veterinary Technology
- School of Integrated Science
- Graduate School
Kamphaeng Saen Campus
The Kamphaeng Saen Campus is the first and largest branch of Kasetsart University established in 1979. The campus is situated in Kamphaeng Saen District, Nakhon Pathom Province with the area of 7,951.75 rai (1272 hectares).
- Faculty of Agriculture at Kamphaeng Saen
- Faculty of Engineering at Kamphaeng Saen
- Faculty of Education and Development Sciences
- Faculty of Liberal Arts and Science
- Faculty of Sports Science
- Faculty of Veterinary Medicine at Kamphaeng Saen
- Faculty of Management Sciences
- Faculty of Engineering at Sriracha
- Faculty of Science at Sriracha
- Faculty of Economics at Sriracha
- Faculty of International Maritime Studies
Chalermphrakiat Sakon Nakhon Province Campus
The Chalermphakiat Sakon Nakhon Province Campus was established in 1996 to commemorate the Golden Jubilee Anniversary of His Majesty King Bhumibol Adulyadej’s Accession to the Throne. The campus occupies the area of 4,488 rai (718 hectares) in Mueang District of Sakon Nakhon Province.
- Faculty of Natural Resources and Agro-Industry
- Faculty of Science and Engineering
- Faculty of Liberal Arts and Management Sciences
- Faculty of Public Health
- Irrigation College
- Boromrajonani College of Nursing Napparat Vajira
|Global – Overall|
|QS World||801-1000 (2021)|
|Global – Life sciences and medicine|
|QS Agriculture and Forestry||51-100 (2020)|
|Global – Science and engineering|
|QS Chemistry||401-450 (2020)|
The QS World University Rankings 2020 ranked Kasetsart University 127th in Asia and 801-1000th in the world. In addition, the QS World University Rankings by Subject 2020, the university was ranked 51-100th in Agriculture & Forestry, 251-300th in Environmental Studies, 351-400th in Engineering - Chemical, 401-450th in Chemistry, and 451-500th in Biological Sciences and Engineering - Mechanical and Aeronautical & Manufacturing. Kasetsart was ranked 29th in Agriculture and Forestry worldwide in the QS World University Rankings 2017. It was ranked in the 651-700 tranche in the QS World University Rankings 2015–2016.
The Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2017–2018 ranked Kasetsart University in the 800-1000 tier in the world and 251-300th in the BRICS and Emerging Economies.
- Institute of Food Research and Product Development
The Institute of Food Research and Product Development (IFRPD), is a science and food technology research institute, with the mandate to provide information and services to society as well as research in support of governmental policies to resolve the country's economic problems related to agricultural products.
- Kasetsart Agricultural and Agro-Industrial Product Improvement Institute
Kasetsart Agricultural and Agro-Industrial Product Improvement Institute (KAPI), is an agricultural and agro-industrial product research institute, established on 29 July 1991 to research and develop quality standards in non-food innovation.
- Kasetsart University Research and Development Institute
Kasetsart University Research and Development Institute (KURDI) administers and coordinates research projects and research efforts.
- Kasetsart University Institute for Advanced Studies
Kasetsart University Institute for Advanced Studies (KUIAS) consists of four research centers: the Center for Advanced Studies for Agriculture and Food; the Center for Advanced Studies in Tropical Natural Resources; the Center for Advanced Studies in Nanotechnology for Chemical, Food and Agricultural Industries; and the Center for Advanced Studies In Industrial Technology. They are responsible for carrying out targeted research initiatives.
- Center for Excellence in Silk
Housed at Kasetsart University's Kamphaeng Saen Campus, the center is a provider of silkworm eggs and know-how to Thai farmers.
|Bangkhen||Agriculture||B.S.||Tropical Agriculture||4 years|
|Agro-Industry||B.S.||Agro-Industrial Innovation and Technology (AIIP)||4 years|
|Business Administration||B.B.A.||Business Administration (BBA)
|Marketing (KUBIM)||4 years|
|Economics||B.A.||Entrepreneurial Economics (EEBA)
|B.Econ.||Economics (BEcon)||4 years|
|Engineering||B.Eng. + B.B.A.||Aerospace Engineering and Business Management (IDDP) (RMIT Double Degree Program)||5 years|
|B.Eng. (IUP)||Electrical Engineering
|Computer Engineering||4 years|
|Electrical Mechanical Manufacturing Engineering||4 years|
|Environmental Engineering||4 years|
|Industrial Engineering||4 years|
|Mechanical Engineering||4 years|
|Software and Knowledge Engineering||4 years|
|Humanities||B.A.||Communicative Thai Language for Foreigners||4 years|
|Integrated Tourism Management (KITMAN)||4 years|
|Science||B.S.||Biological Science and Technology (BioSciTech)||4 years|
|Integrated Chemistry (KUIC)||4 years|
|Sriracha||Engineering at Sriracha||B.Eng.||Robotics and Automation Systems Engineering (RASE)||4 years|
|International Business||4 years|
|Finance and Investment||4 years|
|Bangkhen||Agriculture||M.S. / Ph.D||Tropical Agriculture|
|Agro-Industry||M.S. / Ph.D||Biotechnology|
|Business Administration||M.B.A.||Business Administration (KIMBA)|
|Economics||M.S. / Ph.D.||Agricultural and Resource Economics (MAB)|
|Information and Communication Technology for Embedded Systems (ICTES)|
|Sustainable Energy and Resources Engineering|
|Fisheries||M.S. / Ph.D.||Fishery Science and Technology (OUC Dual Degree Program)|
|Humanities||Ph.D.||English for International Communication (EIC)|
|Veterinary Medicine||M.S. / Ph.D.||Animal Health and Biomedical Sciences|
|Kamphaeng Saen||Agriculture at Kamphaeng Saen||M.S. / Ph.D.||Agricultural Research and Development|
|Sports Science||M.S. / Ph.D.||Sport Management|
- Kasetsart University Student Council (KUSC) is a KU student organization as set out in the 1952 student constitution.
- Kasetsart University Student Administrative Board (KUSAB) represents KU student interests in academic, social, and recreational activities.
The university has given honorary degrees to heads of state and other dignitaries:
- Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, 23 July 1983
- Fumihito, Prince Akishino, 8 March 2011
- Benigno Aquino III, 27 May 2011
Notable alumni, faculty and staff
- Princess Chulabhorn, a Thai princess who was awarded the UNESCO Albert Einstein medal for her efforts in promoting scientific collaboration in 1986.
- Prince Sithiporn Kridakara, the "Father of Thai Modern Agriculture", was awarded the 1967 Ramon Magsaysay Award for public service for his efforts in the Thai agricultural development.
- Srirasmi Suwadee, a former member of the royal family of Thailand
- Xujati Kambhu, the Fifth President of Kasetsart University and the First Dean of Faculty of Engineering, Kasetsart University
- Prasert na Nagara, a Thai scholar, best known for his studies of ancient Thai inscription
- Rapee Sagarik, a Thai horticulturist, botanist and orchid expert and the Seventh President of Kasetsart University
- Seub Nakhasathien, a Thai conservationist who was well known for his efforts to protect nature
- Khemanit Jamikorn, a Thai TV actress, singer, and model
- Nat Thewphaingam, a Thai singer, actor, model, presenter and the winner of the 5th season of reality talent show True Visions's Academy Fantasia
- Thanapob Leeratanakajorn, a Thai actor and model, best known as Phai in Hormones: The Series
- Prachaya Ruangroj, a Thai model and actor, best known as Kongpob in SOTUS: The Series
- Perawat Sangpotirat, a Thai model and actor, best known as Arthit in SOTUS: The Series
- Suppasit Jongcheveevat, a Thai model and actor, best known as Tharn Thara Kirigun in TharnType: The Series
- Worranit Thawornwong, a Thai model and actress
- China Agricultural University
- Cornell University
- Huaqiao University
- Korea University
- KTH Royal Institute of Technology
- Kyoto University
- Massey University
- Michigan State University
- Nagoya University
- National Chung Hsing University
- National University of Singapore
- Ocean University of China
- Osaka University
- Purdue University
- RMIT University
- Università della Svizzera italiana
- Universiti Tunku Abdul Rahman
- University of British Columbia
- University of California, Davis
- University of Hohenheim
- University of Melbourne
- University of Montpellier
- University of Oxford
- University of the Philippines Los Baños
- University of Reading
- University of Vienna
- Waseda University
- Yale University
- Yonsei University
- Zhejiang University
- IPB University
Wildlife at Bangkhen campus
The Bangkhen campus hosts the most diverse avifauna of any campus in Bangkok. The following species of bird can usually be found on campus all year round: little cormorant, Javan pond-heron, little egret, black-crowned night heron, Asian openbill, white-breasted waterhen, bronze-winged jacana, rock pigeon, spotted dove, zebra dove, red collared dove, pink-necked green pigeon, plaintive cuckoo, common koel, greater coucal, Indian roller, coppersmith barbet, Asian palm-swift, house swift, small minivet, common iora, streak-eared bulbul, yellow-vented bulbul, sooty-headed bulbul, large-billed crow, oriental magpie-robin, pied fantail, black-collared starling, Asian pied starling, common myna, white-vented myna, plain prinia, common tailorbird, brown-throated sunbird, olive-backed sunbird, scarlet-backed flowerpecker, white-rumped munia, scaly-breasted munia, Eurasian tree sparrow, house sparrow, Java sparrow. Common winter (generally October–March) visitors: Chinese pond-heron, intermediate egret, barn swallow (August–May), red-rumped swallow, blue-tailed bee-eater, red-breasted flycatcher, ashy drongo, brown shrike, black-naped oriole. Species which are seen there less often (but all year round but some very rarely): lesser whistling duck, cattle egret, great white egret, purple heron, black-winged stilt, red-wattled lapwing, common kingfisher, black-capped kingfisher, stork-billed kingfisher, vernal hanging-parrot, hoopoe, collared scops-owl, black drongo, green-billed malkoha, edible-nest swiftlet, ashy woodswallow, Asian golden weaver. Less common winter visitors or passage migrants: Eurasian kestrel, dark-sided flycatcher, verditer flycatcher.
- List of universities in Thailand
- List of colleges and universities
- Kasetsart University Laboratory School
- "Administration: Number of Personnel". Kasetsart University. Retrieved 19 October 2017.
- "Total Students". Kasetsart University. Retrieved 23 July 2019.
- "Kasetsart Symbol". Kasetsart University. Retrieved 29 August 2015.
- Japan International Research Center for Agricultural Sciences "A Scientist and a Link of the Chain uniting Thailand and Japan" Retrieved 2017-01-02
- กรมหม่อนไหม ประวัติกรมหม่อนไหม Retrieved 2017-01-02
- มหาวิทยาลัยเกษตรศาสตร์ การพัฒนาอาชีวเกษตรกรรม Retrieved 2017-01-02
- บุคคลสำคัญของมหาวิทยาลัย เรียกดูวันที่ 2013-02-21
- ราชกิจจานุเบกษา พระราชบัญญัติมหาวิทยาลัยเกษตรศาสตร์ พุทธศักราช ๒๔๘๖ Retrieved 2017-01-02
- ราชกิจจานุเบกษา พระราชบัญญัติมหาวิทยาลัยเกษตรศาสตร์ พ.ศ. ๒๔๘๖ Retrieved 2017-01-02
- ประวัติมหาวิทยาลัย Retrieved 2017-01-02
- ประวัติมหาวิทยาลัยทศวรรษที่สี่ พ.ศ. 2516-2525 Retrieved 2017-01-02
- History of the Campus Retrieved 2017-01-02
- About KU.CSC Archived 3 January 2017 at the Wayback Machine Retrieved 2017-01-02
- พระราชบัญญัติมหาวิทยาลัยเกษตรศาสตร์ พ.ศ. ๒๕๕๘ Retrieved 2017-01-02
- ราชกิจจานุเบกษา กำหนดภาพเครื่องหมายราชการ ตามพรบ.เครื่องหมายราชการ พ.ศ. 2482 ลงวันที่ ๑๓ กรกฎาคม ๒๕๕๒ Retrieved 2017-01-02
- มหาวิทยาลัยเกษตรศาสตร์: ต้นนนทรี Archived 1 December 2010 at the Wayback Machine Retrieved 2017-01-02
- "QS World University Rankings 2021". QS Top Universities. Retrieved 9 August 2020.
- "QS World University Rankings for Agriculture & Forestry 2020". QS Top Universities. Retrieved 9 August 2020.
- "QS World University Rankings for Chemistry 2020". Retrieved 9 August 2020.
- "Kasetsart University". Top Universities. Retrieved 5 March 2020.
- "Agriculture and Forestry University Rankings".
- "QS World University Rankings 2015/16". QS Top Universities. Retrieved 21 November 2015.
- "Kasetsart University World University Rankings". Times Higher Education. Retrieved 11 February 2018.
- "Introduced organization". Institute of Food Research and Product Development. Retrieved 3 January 2017.
- "About us". Kasetsart Agricultural and Agro-Industrial Product Improvement Institute. Retrieved 3 January 2017.
- "Introduced organization". Kasetsart University Research and Development Institute. Archived from the original on 12 March 2017. Retrieved 10 March 2017.
- "Kasetsart University Research". KU forest. Retrieved 4 January 2017.
- Wangkiat, Paritta (19 February 2017). "Ericulture reeling them in". Bangkok Post. Retrieved 19 February 2017.
- "The KU-OUC Dual Degree Program 硕士研究生双学位项" (PDF). คณะประมง มหาวิทยาลัยเกษตรศาสตร์. Retrieved 4 June 2019.
- "วันพฤหัสบดีที่ ๒๑ กรกฎาคม ๒๕๒๖". หอประวัติมหาวิทยาลัยเกษตรศาสตร์. Retrieved 2 January 2017.
- "มก.ทูลเกล้าฯ ถวายปริญญาวิทยาศาสตรดุษฎีบัณฑิตกิตติมศักดิ์ สาขาสัตวศาสตร์ แด่ เจ้าชายอากิชิโน". Office of the Public Relations, Kasetsart University. Retrieved 2 January 2017.
- "มก. จัดพิธีประสาทปริญญาปรัชญาดุษฎีบัณฑิตกิตติมศักดิ์ (เศรษฐศาสตร์)" (PDF). สำนักงานเลขานุการ คณะเศรษฐศาสตร์ มหาวิทยาลัยเกษตรศาสตร์. Retrieved 2 January 2017.
- "Agreement Database". International Affair Division, Kasetsart University. Retrieved 5 June 2019.
- "Confucius Institutes". Huaqiao University. Retrieved 5 June 2019.
- "KUBIM Exchange Program". International Program in Marketing Kasetsart. Retrieved 5 June 2019.
- "University Partners - Division of Community and International Networking". Universiti Tunku Abdul Rahman(UTAR). Retrieved 25 December 2019.