John Willis Clark
John Willis Clark (1833 – 1910), sometimes J. W. Clark, was an English academic and antiquarian.
Clark was born into a Cambridge University academic family, and was a nephew of Prof. Robert Willis. Educated at Eton and Trinity College, Cambridge, he spent his life at the university, serving as Fellow of Trinity, Superintendent of the Cambridge University Museum of Zoology from 1866-1892, and Registrary of the University. He was also Secretary of the Cambridge Antiquarian Society.
Clark died in 1910, and is buried in the Mill Road cemetery, Cambridge.
His son was Sir William Henry Clark.
- Architectural History of the University and Colleges of Cambridge, with Robert Willis, 4 volumes, 1886.
- The Life and Letters of The Reverend Adam Sedgwick (1890) in 2 volumes
- Libraries in the Medieval and Renaissance Periods (1894)
- The observances in use at The Augustinian Priory of S. Giles : and S. Andrew at Barnwell, Cambridgeshire (1897)
- On the Vatican Library of Sixtus IV (1899])
- A descriptive catalogue of the manuscripts in the library of Peterhouse (1899)
- Old friends at Cambridge and elsewhere (1900)
- The Care of Books (1901)
- Cambridge; a concise guide to the town & university in an introduction and four walks (2nd edition, 1902); (1st edition, 1898)
- Endowments of the University of Cambridge (1904)
- Cambridge (1908)
Contributions to the DNB
- James Burrough
- William Clark
- Nicholas Close
- John Dawson (surgeon) (1734-1820)
- Philip Douglas
- James Essex
- Richard Harraden
- Joseph Jowett
- David Loggan
- Henry Richards Luard
- Isaac Milner
- John Montagu (Trinity) (1655?-1728)
- George Peacock (1791-1858)
- George Phillips (canon lawyer) (1804-1892)
- Robert Plumptre
- Thomas Postlethwaite
- Joseph Power
- George Pryme
- Connop Thirlwall
- William Hepworth Thompson
- Francis Willis
- Robert Willis (engineer) (1800-1875)
- Francis John Hyde Wollaston
- Christopher Wordsworth (1774-1846)
Works about Clark
- "John Willis Clark", Obituary, The Times, 1910
- "Clark, John Willis (CLRK851JW)". A Cambridge Alumni Database. University of Cambridge.
- "University intelligence". The Times (36893). London. 8 October 1902. p. 4.
- "Review of The Life and Letters of Adam Sedgwick by J. Willis Clark and T. McKenny Hughes". The Quarterly Review. 172: 96–112. January 1891.
- "Review of The Care of Books, An Essay on the Development of Libraries and their Fittings by John Willis Clark ..." The Quarterly Review. 195: 450–465. April 1902.