Iolanda Maria Pedro Campos Cintura Seuane (born 24 October 1972) is a Mozambiquean chemist and politician who served as Minister for Women and Social Affairs from 2010 to 2014 and has been governor of the capital city Maputo since 2015.
Early life and education
Cintura was born on 24 October 1972 in Vila Pery (now Chimoio), Manica Province. She attended primary school in Beira before moving to Maputo for her secondary schooling. She studied chemistry at Eduardo Mondlane University, graduating in 1999. She also received certificates in fuel management from the Norwegian Petroleum Institute (1999), energy relations from the United States Department of Energy (2001) and management from the Pedagogical University of Maputo (2007 and 2011).
Cintura is a member of the Mozambique Liberation Front and held various positions in the Ministry of Energy from 2000 until 2010. On 15 January 2010, she was appointed to the cabinet by President Armando Guebuza as Minister for Women and Social Affairs. In this capacity, she made a statement to the United Nations Commission on the Status of Women in New York City in 2012. In April 2013, she hosted the Southern African Development Community's meeting of ministers responsible for gender and women's affairs in Maputo.
Cintura has been a member of the National AIDS Council since 2010 and is president of the National Council for the Advancement of Women.
Cintura is married to Mário Seuane and has two children.
- Sitoe, Dalton (8 April 2016). "Notas biográficas de Iolanda Cintura". Biografia (in Portuguese). Retrieved 12 March 2017.
- Hanlon, Joseph (2015). A Decade of Mozambique: Politics, Economy and Society 2004–2013. Brill. p. 88.
- "Statement by the Honourable Iolanda Cintura Minister of Woman and Social Action of the Republic of Mozambique" (PDF). UN Women. February 2012.
- "SADC Ministers Condemn Violence Against Women and Girls". Southern African Development Community. 3 April 2013. Retrieved 12 March 2017.
- "Seychelles at SADC gender and women ministers' meeting". Seychelles Nation. 1 March 2013. Retrieved 12 March 2017.
- "Iolanda Cintura apresentada como Governadora". O Pais (in Portuguese). 23 January 2015. Retrieved 12 March 2017.
- "Iolanda Cintura visita a Direcção de Plano e Finanças" (in Portuguese). Miramar. 16 September 2015. Retrieved 12 March 2017.
- Frey, Adrian (9 February 2017). "Governor calls for expansion of specialist and surgical services to reduce waiting times in Maputo health units". Club of Mozambique. Retrieved 12 March 2017.
- "Mozambique: President Nyusi Appoints Provincial Governors". All Africa. 19 January 2015. Retrieved 12 March 2017.