Gian Paolo Dulbecco
Gian Paolo Dulbecco (21 September 1941) is an Italian painter.
Born in La Spezia (Italy), he began as a self-taught painter at the end of the 50s, devoting himself also to the engraving techniques, especially to the drypoint.
In 1966 he graduated from the Polytechnic University of Milan and settled in Rome in the last years of the 60s. In 1971 he returned to Milan, taking part in many important art exhibitions.
In 1982-83 he created a set of paintings on the Via Crucis theme, now placed in the S. Gemma Church in Monza; at the same time, he presented some paintings in various sacred-art exhibitions.
In 1984 he won a prize from the Cartier's Collection in Milan. In 1992 he was among the winners in a national competition organized by the Italian revue Arte.
In 1992-93 he revisited the Tarots theme, that he had already developed in the previous years: a special set of these 22 paintings, devoted to the subject and history of tobacco, was included by the French art critic Pierre Restany in the show Art et Tabac, which is presented in various European countries.
A period of various exhibitions in Europe and Japan followed. In July 2002 the Italian Ministry for Heritage and Cultural Affairs supported a significant anthological exhibition in Ravello, with his paintings from 1990 to 2002.
He developed his own language modulated on arrangements of colour and light in a search for formal value, often expressed on canvasses of small dimensions.
Combined with the pursuit of creative refinement, his painting is characterized by a marked state of disorientation as a metaphor for the universal interrogative. The result is a universe of magic realism, organized without purpose, in a suspended atmosphere and frozen in time.
- Panorama Museum, Bad Frankenhausen, Germany
- Fantastic Art Collection, Gruyères Castle, Switzerland
- Tarots Museum, Riola di Vergato, (Bologna)
- Province of Palermo paintings collection, Palermo
- Region Lombardy art collection, Palazzo Lombardia, Milan
- Gonzaga Museum, Mantua
- Cervia City Council art collection
- Allgemeines Künstlerlexikon, de Gruyter GmbH, Berlin
- Catalogo d’Arte Moderna, Mondadori, Milan
- Art & Tabac, catalogo della mostra al Tabakmuseum, Vienna, 1995
- P. Morselli, F. Gozzi, U. Montanari, Carnevalesca, il travestimento, la festa, catalogo della mostra a Cento, Ed. Siaca, Cento, 2003
- Gian Paolo Dulbecco, La via Crucis per la Chiesa di S.Gemma Galgani in Monza (1983-85), Monza, 2006
- C. Caserta, Pulcinella, viaggio nell’ultimo Novecento - Dulbecco, Lubelli, Luzzati, Mautone, ESI, Napoli, 2006, ISBN 88-495-1256-2
- Dopo de Chirico. La pittura metafisica italiana contemporanea. Catalog - Panorama Museum, Bad Frankenhausen, 2012, ISBN 978-3-938049-23-5
- C.Caserta, Gian Paolo Dulbecco, antologia della pittura, Edizioni Scientifiche Italiane, Napoli, 2016, ISBN 978-88-495-3028-5
- A.Sartori: Catalogo Sartori d'arte moderna e contemporanea - 2018, Archivio Sartori Editore, Mantova, 2018
- N.Del Buono: The best of the year, 90 Italian highlights, AD (Italy), nov.2019