Freelance diplomacy is a form of self-financing diplomatic representation used by countries who as a general rule, could not afford to hire expert diplomatic consultants full-time.
A "freelance diplomat" is hired for a specific task or may sometimes be contracted on a permanent basis to run a delegation, mission or embassy. They may also used to promote investment into the country they work for. It is understood to be a performance-based relationship, where the diplomat is paid on results only.
Prominent freelance diplomats include.
- Carne Ross, former British diplomat.
- Colin Evans, recognized[by whom?] to be the world's leading trade diplomat.
- Jimmy Carter, former President of the United States.
- www.somalilandtimes.net http://www.somalilandtimes.net/sl/2009/393/35.shtml. Retrieved 2018-12-28. Missing or empty
- http://www.curierulnational.ro/In%20brief/2010-01-15/Freelance+Diplomat%2C+Colin+Evans%2C+big+success+with+European+investors. Missing or empty
- http://www.curierulnational.ro/In%20brief/2010-01-11/Top+%22Diplomat+for+Hire%22+to+visit+Bucharest. Missing or empty