Franklin Island (Greenland)
Nares strait border (Kennedy channel)
|Highest elevation||215 m (705 ft)|
Franklin Island is the largest of a group of three islands off the Washington Land coast that includes Crozier Island and Hans Island as well. The former is also part of Greenland, whilst the latter's ownership is disputed between Denmark and Canada.
It is located c. 3 miles (4.8 km) north of Cape Constitution (Danish: Kap Constitution). It is predominantly light brown in colour, very steep-sided, flat topped, and rises to a height of 215 m (705 ft) on the Southeast side.
The island is named after the British explorer John Franklin (1786–1847), by Elisha Kent Kane between 1854 and 1855 during his second Grinnell Expedition, after it was sighted by Hans Hendrik and the American William Morton in June 1854.
- "Franklin Ø". Mapcarta. Retrieved 8 April 2016.