|• Total||8.74 km2 (3.37 sq mi)|
|• Density||850/km2 (2,200/sq mi)|
|Racial makeup (2011)|
|• Black African||40.2%|
|First languages (2011)|
|• S. Ndebele||8.5%|
|Time zone||UTC+2 (SAST)|
|Postal code (street)|
The town was laid out in 1907 on the farm Witklip (Afrikaans for White Stone) and has been administered by a town council since 1965. The name is derived from the French de la mas ('small farm') and was given by the Frenchman Frank Campbell Dumat, former owner of Witklip, after his grandfather's farm in France.:134 He originally laid out the town with 192 residential stands, 48 4 ha small holdings and 138 ha of commonage but by 1909 the governments added a further 5,500 ha to the town.:303 This would be divided into 85 small holdings of around 64 ha.:303
The Delmas Golf Club is a nine-hole golf course that opened in 1960.
The town is connected by two main roads, the R555 and the R50. The R50 north connects the town to the N12 freeway junction which links Johannesburg to Witbank while the road continues north to Pretoria. The R50 south connects the town to Standerton.