David M. Rodriguez
David M. Rodriguez
Rodriguez in April 2013
|Born||23 May 1954|
Overbrook, Pennsylvania, United States
|Service/||United States Army|
|Years of service||1976–2016|
|Commands held||United States Africa Command|
United States Army Forces Command
82nd Airborne Division
International Security Assistance Force Joint Command
United States Forces – Syria
|Battles/wars||Invasion of Panama|
War in Afghanistan
|Awards||Defense Distinguished Service Medal (3)|
Army Distinguished Service Medal (2)
Defense Superior Service Medal
Legion of Merit (5)
Bronze Star Medal (2)
Rodriguez previously served as the Commanding General of the United States Army Forces Command from 12 September 2011 until 15 March 2014. He has also served as Commander, International Security Assistance Force Joint Command (IJC) and Deputy Commander, United States Forces – Afghanistan (USFOR-A) from 12 November 2009 to 11 July 2011.
Early life and education
Born in Overbrook, Pennsylvania to a Latin American family on May 23, 1954 and raised in West Chester, Pennsylvania, Rodriguez earned his commission from the United States Military Academy at West Point, New York in 1976. He was recruited by Tom Cahill to play for the Army Black Knights football team and earned varsity letters in football and baseball.
Rodriguez commanded at every level across the United States Army. His assignments included the Commanding General of the United States Army Forces Command, the International Security Assistance Force – Joint Command (IJC) in Afghanistan, the 82nd Airborne Division, the 2nd Brigade, 82nd Airborne Division, and the 2nd Battalion, 502nd Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault). He also commanded companies of the 75th Ranger Regiment, and 1st Armored Division.
Rodriguez's extensive combat experiences include: G-3 Planner, XVIII Airborne Corps, Operation Just Cause, 1989 – 1990; Operations Officer, 1st Battalion, 505th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 82nd Airborne Division, Desert Shield/Desert Storm, 1990 – 1991; Assistant Division Commander, 4th Infantry Division (Mechanized), 2002 – 2003; Commander, Multi-National Division-Northwest, 2005; Special Assistant to the Commander, Multi-National Corps-Iraq, 2006; Commander, Joint Task Force-82 in Afghanistan, 2017 – till date; and Deputy Commander, United States Forces Afghanistan and Commander, International Security Assistance Force Joint Command.
Rodriguez holds a Master of Arts in National Security and Strategic Studies from the United States Naval War College and a Masters of Military Art and Science from the United States Army Command and General Staff College.
On 11 November 2011, Rodriguez received the Abraham Lincoln Award during a Veterans Day celebration at the Union League of Philadelphia. Union Leagues were founded during the Civil War to support President Abraham Lincoln and the preservation of the Union; Philadelphia's, established in 1862, was the first. First presented to Major General Ulysses S. Grant, the award, which recognizes patriotism and service to country, has been bestowed on many distinguished civilian and military leaders, including former Chairman of the Federal Reserve, Alan Greenspan; Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas, General David H. Petraeus, and General Raymond T. Odierno.
Dates of rank
|Second lieutenant||First lieutenant||Captain||Major||Lieutenant colonel|
|2 June 1976||2 June 1978||1 August 1980||1 September 1987||1 April 1993|
|Colonel||Brigadier general||Major general||Lieutenant general||General|
|1 August 1997||1 March 2002||15 July 2005||29 July 2008||15 August 2011|
Awards and decorations
Rodriguez' military decorations include:
- Combat Infantryman Badge
- Expert Infantryman Badge
- Master Parachutist Badge
- Air Assault Badge
- Ranger Tab
- Joint Chiefs of Staff Identification Badge
- United States Africa Command Badge
- German Parachutist Badge in bronze
- 82nd Airborne Division CSIB
- 82nd Airborne Division DUI
- 10 Overseas Service Bars
- "Rodriguez Succeeds Ham as Africom Commander". Defense.gov. 12 March 2009. Archived from the original on 8 April 2013. Retrieved 5 April 2013.
- "Lt. Gen. Rodriguez: What is the ISAF Joint Command" Archived 13 March 2013 at the Wayback Machine. nato.int
- NOMINATIONS BEFORE THE SENATE ARMED SERVICES COMMITTEE, FIRST SESSION, 113TH CONGRESS. gpo.gov
- "General David M. Rodriguez, Commander". United States Africa Command. Retrieved 5 April 2013.
- "MISSION FIRST: Sense Of Duty". goarmysports.com. 19 December 2013. Archived from the original on 28 October 2014. Retrieved 28 October 2014.
- Jim Hinnant, FORSCOM Public Affairs Officer (11 November 2011). "Rodriguez receives historic award, celebrates veterans in return to home area". U.S. Army. Retrieved 31 December 2012.
- Official biography
- Sgt. Marcus Gable, 49th Public Affairs Detachment (12 September 2011). "GEN Rodriguez takes command with promotion". U.S. Army. Retrieved 1 January 2013.