|Società per azioni|
|Traded as||BIT: DAN|
|Industry||Metal, Manufacturing, Steel|
|Founders||Mario Danieli |
|Gianpietro Benedetti, Chairman|
Giacomo Mareschi Danieli, CEO
|Products||Engineering, Equipment, Plants|
|Revenue||€2.706 billion (2018)|
|€0.58 billion (2018)|
|€1.853 billion (2018)|
Number of employees
Danieli Group (Italian pronunciation: [danˈjɛːli]) is an Italian supplier of equipment and physical plants to the metal industry. The company is based in Buttrio, in the north-east of Italy (Friuli-Venezia-Giulia region).
Danieli’s origins date to 1914 when two brothers Mario and Timo Danieli founded the Angelini Steelworks in Brescia, Italy, one of the first companies to use the electric arc furnace for steel making. In 1929, part of the steelworks was transferred to Buttrio to manufacture tools for forging plants and auxiliary machines for rolling mills. In 1955, led by Luigi Danieli, the company started designing and manufacturing equipment for the steel industry. His idea was to manufacture more competitive equipment, simplify layouts and maximize the use of automation. One of the concepts developed, the "EAF/Conticaster-Rolling mill" production route, has characterized and contributed to the successful development of the minimill process, which is widely adopted today.
In 1982, the company was listed on the Milan Stock Exchange, and in 1984 Cecilia Danieli [it] (who had managed the financial and administrative departments of the Group since 1977) - who was appointed Chairman - and Gianpietro Benedetti (who had been Technological, Commercial and Project execution director since 1977) - who was appointed CEO - were entrusted with the management of the company.
Since then Danieli has acquired German (Josef Fröhling), Swedish (Morgårdshammar), British (Davy Distington), French (Rotelec), American (Wean Industries, United Engineering), and Dutch (Corus Technical Services) companies.
At the end of the 1990s the internationalization process was completed with the construction of production centers in China, Thailand, Vietnam, and India, followed by Russia, Turkey, and Brazil, all of which were added to the European plants already existing in Italy, Sweden, and Germany.
Beginning in 1969, through Danieli Automation, the company developed its own automation systems, including instrumentation and power control technologies.
In 2005, the company started a transformation program and expanded into developing countries by establishing fully owned and directly managed design and production centers.
In 1995, Danieli acquired a local steelmaking company, ABS, which is also used as a laboratory for metallurgy, equipment, processes, and their related automation.