Cost reduction is the process used by companies to reduce their costs and increase their profits. Depending on a company’s services or product, the strategies can vary. Every decision in the product development process affects cost.
Cost reduction strategies
- Supplier consolidation
- Component consolidations
- Low-cost country sourcing
- Request for quotations (RFQ)
- Supplier cost breakdown analysis
- Function cost analysis / Value analysis / Value engineering
- Design for manufacture / Design for assembly
- Reverse costing
- Cost driver analysis
- Product benchmarking
- Design to cost
- Design workshops with suppliers
- Competitor benchmarking
- Barrett R. Crane. "Cycle time & cost reduction in a low volume manufacturing environment". MIT DSpace. hdl:1721.1/11020.
- Apichart Jearasatit. "Using a total landed cost model to foster global logistics strategy in the electronics industry". MIT DSpace. hdl:1721.1/60836.
- Bryan K. Parks. "Cost and lead time reduction in the manufacture off injection molding tools". MIT DSpace. hdl:1721.1/12092.