The Cosby Cup was donated by businessman A. Morgan Cosby. The OHA playoffs at the time consisted of play-downs from a limited number of teams. At the start, there was Lindsay, Ottawa, Kingston Queen's University, Toronto Osgoode Hall, Toronto St. George's and Toronto Granites. These were the only teams of the OHA upon its founding, but the league started adding divisions in 1896, splitting into junior, intermediate and senior.
The Cosby Cup was awarded to the senior champions until the John Ross Robertson trophies were donated in 1899. The Cosby Cup was given permanently to Queen's University.
|1891||Ottawa Hockey Club||Toronto St. George's||5–0||Ottawa|
|1892||Ottawa Hockey Club||Toronto Osgoode Hall||10–4||Toronto|
|1893||Ottawa Hockey Club||Toronto Granites||default|
|1894||Toronto Osgoode Hall||Kingston Queen's University||3–2||Toronto|
|1895||Kingston Queen's University||Toronto Trinity College||17–3||Toronto|
|1896||Kingston Queen's University||Stratford||12–3||Toronto|
|1897||Kingston Queen's University||University of Toronto||12–7 (6–1,6–6)|
|1898||Toronto Osgoode Hall|
|1899||Kingston Queen's University|
References and notes
- Podnieks, Andrew; Hockey Hall of Fame (2000). Silverware. Bolton, Ontario: Fenn Publishing Company. ISBN 1-55168-296-6.
- "Osgoode's Champion Cup". The Globe. March 1, 1894. p. 6.
- Fitsell, J.W. (Bill) (2012). Captain James T. Sutherland: The Grand Old Man of Hockey & The Battle for the Original Hockey Hall of Fame. Kingston, Ontario: Quarry Heritage Books. p. 30. ISBN 978-1-55082-374-5.
- "Queen's The Champion". The Globe. February 22, 1895. p. 6.
- "Queen's Are Champions". The Globe. February 27, 1896. p. 8.