Canada–Colombia relations are foreign relations between Canada and the Republic of Colombia. Full direct diplomatic relations were established in 1953, with the exchange of the first ambassadors. Canada has an embassy in Bogotá. Colombia has an embassy in Ottawa and 4 Consulates-General (in Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver and Calgary). Both countries are full members of the Organization of American States.
In 2010 Canada officially entered into the Canada-Colombia Free Trade agreement previously signed in 2008. The news was announced by Prime Minister Stephen Harper in Bogota, Colombia. The agreement officially took effect August 15, 2011. In 2008, the two countries signed a new $1.14 billion dollar bilateral trade agreement (the Canada-Colombia Free Trade Agreement) at the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation meeting. The agreement will lead to exchange of such products including wheat, pulses, barley, paper and heavy equipment and will help the manufacturing and financial industries. Part of the agreement includes Colombia elimination of child labour, forced labour and workplace discrimination and will eliminate double taxation. Colombia will also eliminate 98% of tariffs on good exported to Canada by 2018.
The Canadian government announced in February 2009 that it was adding Colombia to its list of preferred countries to receive foreign aid. This list includes 18 countries and the West Bank and Caribbean. In 2016, following the negotiation of the peace agreement between the Colombian government and FARC rebels, Canada offered $21M to "help Colombia make peace deal stick." The funds are designated mainly for National Police training programs, rapid response to "local flare-ups that might threaten the peace," as well as for de-mining. With other world leaders, Global Affairs Minister Stéphane Dion travelled to Cartagena for the signing ceremony. Canada sent observers to witness the referendum, which ended with a rejection of the agreement by a majority of Colombian voters.
- "Canada Colombia Trade Deal Takes Effect". CBC.ca. 2011-08-15. Retrieved 2011-08-22.
- "Canada signs free-trade agreement with Colombia". CTV.ca. Archived from the original on 2013-04-25. Retrieved 2008-11-22.
- Alexander Panetta, "Canada limits main foreign aid recipients to 20 countries", Canada East website (accessed 3 March 2009)
- "Stéphane Dion announces Colombia aid package at historic peace signing". CBC News. Retrieved 2016-10-10.
- "Colombia just voted no on its plebiscite for peace. Here's why and what it means". Washington Post. Retrieved 2016-10-10.