|Governor of South Tyrol|
|Assumed office |
9 January 2014
|Preceded by||Luis Durnwalder|
|Born||19 March 1971|
Völs am Schlern, Italy
Kompatscher was born in Völs am Schlern, South Tyrol. After compulsory military service in the Italian Army Alpini corps, he studied law at the University of Innsbruck and the University of Padua. In 2000 he was elected deputy-mayor of his home town and in 2005 he was elected mayor. In 2010 he was once more elected mayor.
In spring 2013 he won the South Tyrolean People's Party (SVP) primary election, becoming the lead candidate for the 2013 provincial elections. The provincial elections on 27 October 2013 were won by the SVP which received 131,236 votes (45.7%). Kompatscher received the most preference votes of all candidates elected to the provincial legislature, namely 81,107 from the SVP voters. He was re-elected in 2019.
- Arno Kompatscher neuer Präsident der Region Trentino-Südtirol (in German), regione.taa.it.
- "Stravince Arno Kompatscher Pichler Rolle sconfitto 2 volte" (in Italian). Alto Adige. April 22, 2013. Archived from the original on June 18, 2013. Retrieved October 28, 2013.
- "Risultati elettorali Provincia nel suo complesso - Elezioni provinciali 2013 – Provincia autonoma di Bolzano" (in Italian). Archived from the original on October 30, 2013. Retrieved October 28, 2013.
- "Preferenze Provincia nel suo complesso - Elezioni provinciali 2013 – Provincia autonoma di Bolzano" (in Italian). Archived from the original on October 29, 2013. Retrieved October 28, 2013.
- Personal website (in German)