Canada recognized Armenia soon after its separation from the Soviet Union in 1991. In 1992, Armenia and Canada formally established diplomatic relations. Canada has been represented in Yerevan since 1997 by an honorary consul. The Canadian Embassy in Moscow is accredited to Armenia. Armenia opened an embassy in Ottawa in 1995.
Over the years, both nations have signed bilateral agreements, such as a Trade and Commerce Agreement (1999); Promotion and Protection of Investments Agreement (1999) and an Agreement on the Avoidance of Double Taxation and the Prevention of Fiscal Evasion with Respect to Taxes on Income and on Capital (1999).
CIDA provides funding to Armenia through regional technical assistance projects. Further, a Canada Fund for local development projects is managed by the Canadian Embassy in Moscow (Russia), in areas that include trade policy capacity building, rural development, health projects and environmental programs.
In 2006 Canada officially recognized the Armenian Genocide. In October 2018, Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau paid a visit to Armenia to attend the 17th Summit of the Organisation internationale de la Francophonie. During the visit, Prime Minister Trudeau met with Armenian President Armen Sarkissian and Prime Minister Nikol Pashinyan; to further strengthen the relations between both nations.
In 2017, total trade between both nations totaled $35.7 million USD. Armenia's main exports include: precious metals and stones and textile products. Canada's main exports include: food products, machinery and equipment, and chemical products.
Resident diplomatic missions
- Armenia has an embassy in Ottawa.
- Canada is accredited to Armenia from its embassy in Moscow, Russia and maintains an honorary consulate in Yerevan.
- Relations between Canada and Armenia
- Bilateral relations between Armenia and Canada
- The Prime Minister concludes a successful visit to Armenia and his participation at the XVII Francophonie Summit
- Canada-Armenia Relations
- Embassy of Armenia in Canada
- Embassy of Canada in Russia
- "Honorary Consulate of Canada in Yerevan". Archived from the original on 2017-09-19. Retrieved 2017-07-18.