Alliance of Progressives
|Succeeded by||The Olive Tree|
|Political position||Centre-left to left-wing|
The Alliance of Progressives (Italian: Alleanza dei Progressisti), also known as simply the Progressives (Progressisti), was a left-wing to centre-left political and electoral alliance of political parties in Italy formed in 1994, with relevant predecessors at local level in 1993. The leader of the alliance was Achille Occhetto.
The Alliance suffered a huge defeat in the 1994 general election by the Pole of Freedoms/Pole of Good Government centre-right coalitions led by Silvio Berlusconi. For the 1995 regional election and 1996 general election the Alliance was succeeded by The Olive Tree coalition, which included the Italian People's Party (diminished by the split of the United Christian Democrats in 1995), Italian Renewal and Segni Pact, and excluding the Communist Refoundation Party, which was an external ally and presented its candidates under the "Progressives" banner in some single-seat constituencies.
- Contested elections under the PDS electoral lists.
- Contested elections under the PSI electoral lists.
|Chamber of Deputies|
213 / 630
|Senate of the Republic|
123 / 315
- Christina Holtz-Bacha; Gianpietro Mazzoleni (2004). The Politics of Representation: Election Campaigning and Proportional Representation. Peter Lang. p. 57. ISBN 978-0-8204-6148-9.
- Stefan Köppl (2007). Das politische System Italiens: Eine Einführung. Springer-Verlag. p. 98. ISBN 978-3-531-14068-1.
- Daniela Giannetti; Rose Mulé (2007). "The Democratici di Sinistra: In Search of a New Identity". In Anna Bosco; Leonardo Morlino (eds.). Party Change in Southern Europe. Routledge. p. 134. ISBN 978-1-136-76777-7.
- Roberto D'Alimonte (2005). "Italy: A Case of Fragmented Bipolarism". In Michael Gallagher; Paul Mitchell (eds.). The Politics of Electoral Systems. OUP Oxford. p. 265. ISBN 978-0-19-153151-4.
- Gino Moliterno, ed. (2002). Encyclopedia of Contemporary Italian Culture. Routledge. p. 852. ISBN 978-1-134-75877-7.
- Sona Nadenichek Golder (2006). The Logic of Pre-electoral Coalition Formation. Ohio State University Press. p. 160. ISBN 978-0-8142-1029-1.