8th arrondissement of Paris
8th arrondissement of Paris
Paris and its closest suburbs
|• Mayor||Jeanne d'Hauteserre|
|• Total||3.88 km2 (1.50 sq mi)|
| • Estimate |
|• Density||9,500/km2 (25,000/sq mi)|
|1 Population sans doubles comptes: single count of residents of multiple communes (e.g. students and military personnel).|
The 8th arrondissement of Paris (VIIIe arrondissement) is one of the 20 arrondissements of the capital city of France. In spoken French, this arrondissement is colloquially referred to as huitième (eighth/the eighth).
The arrondissement, called Élysée, is situated on the right bank of the River Seine and centred on the Champs-Élysées. The 8th is, together with the 1st, 9th, 16th, and 17th arrondissements, one of Paris's main business districts. According to the 1999 census, it was the place of employment of more people than any other single arrondissement of the capital. It is also the location of many places of interest, among them the Champs-Élysées, the Arc de Triomphe (partial), and the Place de la Concorde, as well as the Élysée Palace, the official residence of the President of France. Most French fashion luxury brands have their main store in 8th arrondissement, Avenue Montaigne or Rue du Faubourg Saint-Honoré, both in the Champs-Elysees Avenue shopping district.
The land area of the arrondissement is 3.881 km2 (1.498 sq. miles, or 959 acres).
The arrondissement had its highest population of 107,485 in 1891. In 1999, it had almost a third of that number, with 39,310 residents. It is one of Paris's least densely populated arrondissements and contains 1.8% of the total population of Paris.
(of French censuses)
(inh. per km²)
|1891 (peak of population)||107,485||27,695|
|Born in Metropolitan France||Born outside Metropolitan France|
|Born in foreign countries with French citizenship at birth1||EU-15 immigrants2||Non-EU-15 immigrants|
|1 This group is made up largely of former French settlers, such as pieds-noirs in Northwest Africa, followed by former colonial citizens who had French citizenship at birth (such as was often the case for the native elite in French colonies), and to a lesser extent foreign-born children of French expatriates. Note that a foreign country is understood as a country not part of France in 1999, so a person born for example in 1950 in Algeria, when Algeria was an integral part of France, is nonetheless listed as a person born in a foreign country in French statistics.|
2 An immigrant is a person born in a foreign country not having French citizenship at birth. Note that an immigrant may have acquired French citizenship since moving to France, but is still considered an immigrant in French statistics. On the other hand, persons born in France with foreign citizenship (the children of immigrants) are not listed as immigrants.
The head offices of AXA, Bouygues, Électricité de France (EDF), Eurazeo, Sanofi-Aventis, GDF Suez, HSBC France, and Suez Environnement are located in this arrondissement. Standard & Poor's' France office is located in the 8th arrondissement. Air China and China Southern Airlines have their Paris offices in the arrondissement.
At one time the head office of Union des Transports Aériens was located in this arrondissement. The predecessor airline Union Aéromaritime de Transport also had its head office in the 8th arrondissement. When Suez existed, its head office was in the 8th arrondissement. When Unibail existed, its head office was in the arrondissement. At one time Groupe Danone had its head office in the 8th arrondissement. At one time Alcatel-Lucent's head office was located in the arrondissement. At one time Northwest Airlines had its Paris offices in the Madeleine station. At one time All Nippon Airways operated a sales office in the arrondissement.
Places of interest
Districts or neighborhoods
- Quartier des Champs-Élysées
- Quartier du Faubourg-du-Roule
- Quartier de la Madeleine
- Quartier de l'Europe
Streets and squares
Private high schools:
The École de langue japonaise de Paris (パリ日本語補習校 Pari Nihongo Hoshūkō), a supplementary Japanese education programme, has its offices at the Association Amicale des Ressortissants Japonais en France (AARJF) in the 8th arrondissement. The classes are held at the École Maternelle et Primaire Saint Francois d'Eylau in the 16th arrondissement.
Intégrale : Institut d'enseignement supérieur privé has also one of its campus in the 8th arrondissement.
- "Populations légales 2017". INSEE. Retrieved 6 January 2020.
- "French fashion facts. Paris fashion". Paris Digest. 2018. Retrieved 2018-11-26.
- "Mairie (French)". Archived from the original on November 13, 2013. Retrieved July 3, 2012.
- "Contacts Archived 2010-07-09 at the Wayback Machine." AXA. Retrieved on 7 July 2010.
- "Contact Bouygues SA Archived 2011-10-02 at the Wayback Machine." Bouygues. Retrieved on 28 June 2010.
- "EDF : Pierre Gadonneix a son bureau avenue de Wagram." Le Journal du Net. Retrieved on 25 November 2010. "Cependant, le siège social se situe intra-muros, avenue de Wagram, dans le 8e arrondissement."
- "Contacts Archived 2008-11-18 at the Wayback Machine." Euroazeo. Retrieved on 8 September 2010.
- "Contact us." HSBC. Retrieved on 12 September 2011. "HSBC FranceHSBC FRance - Paris Address: 103 avenue des Champs-Elysees 75419 PARIS cedex 08"
- "Legal notice Archived 2011-10-04 at the Wayback Machine." Suez Environnement. Retrieved on 7 July 2010.
- "Office Locations Europe." Standard & Poor's. Retrieved on 12 August 2011. "40 rue de Courcelles Paris, France 75008 "
- "Worldwide offices Europe Archived 2013-02-02 at the Wayback Machine." Air China. Retrieved on October 19, 2012.
- "China Southern Airlines Contacts for Agents." China Southern Airlines. Retrieved on October 19, 2012. "125, Avenue des Champs Elysees 75008 Paris, France"
- World Airline Directory, Flight International, 29 March 1986, p. 135
- Translation of accident report in Rhodesia. Journal of the French Republic. Page 281. "Union Aéromaritime de Transport (U. A. T.), 5, boulevard Malesherbes, Paris (8e)"
- "Disclaimer." Suez. Retrieved on 7 July 2010.
- "page d'accueil." Unibail. 7 August 2002. Retrieved on 8 July 2010. "Unibail 5 Boulevard Malesherbes F-75802 Paris Cedex 08 France."
- "Danone Group's addresses[dead link]." Groupe Danone. Retrieved on 26 July 2010.
- "la tête dans les étoiles." Le Journal du Net. Retrieved on 8 July 2010.
- "Northwest Airlines Ticket Offices." () Northwest Airlines. 13 June 1998. Retrieved on 29 May 2013. "FRANCE Northwest Airlines Metro Station / Madeleine 16 Rue Chauveau Lagarde 75008 Paris, France"
- "ANA Directory" (Archive). All Nippon Airways. 1998. Retrieved on July 9, 2016. "114, Avenue des Champs Elysée 75008 Paris, France"
- "Etablissements - Rechercher un établissement." Académie Paris. Retrieved on 2 April 2015.
- "日本人会「パリ日本語補習校」2013~14年度申込書" (Archive). École de langue japonaise de Paris. Retrieved on 10 May 2014. "AARJF 19, rue de Chaillot 75116 Paris"
- "欧州の補習授業校一覧（平成25年4月15日現在）" (Archive). Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (MEXT). Retrieved on May 10, 2014. "パリ ECOLE DE LANGUE JAPONAISE DE PARIS Ecole Maternelle et Primaire Saint Francois d'Eylau 20 av. Bugeaud 75116 Paris, France"
- "パリ日本語補習校 概要." École de langue japonaise de Paris. Retrieved on April 2, 2015. "教 室 水曜・土曜クラスともに Ecole Saint Francois教室 Ecole Maternelle et Primaire Saint Francois 住所：20 Av. Bugeaud 75116 Paris メトロ：Victor HUGO(2号線） 徒歩5分 / BOISSIERE(6号線) 徒歩9分" - PDF version (Archive)